The Marine Mammal Center, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking a Guest Experience Coordinator to join our team. The Marine Mammal Center’s mission is to expand knowledge about marine mammals—their health and that of their ocean environment—and to inspire their global conservation. Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured marine mammals, supported by state-of-the-art animal care and research facilities, a corps of dedicated volunteers, and an engaged community.
The Guest Experience Coordinator assists in the development of the Center’s visitor programs and services; delivers these programs and helps train and supervise Guest Experience volunteers and interns. This role assists in the development and creation of education related content for visitor programs, interpretive graphics/exhibits, education-led events and other communication vehicles (i.e. training and program materials). The role assists with onsite training, providing direction and guidance to guest experience volunteers and interns, and assists in the oversight of public areas for safety, visitor amenities (brochures, clean restrooms, etc) and general maintenance. This role is capable of teaching all programs offered at the Center, and frequently leads tours and other onsite programs.
To provide 7-day coverage, the Guest Experience Coordinator/Supervisor is required to work either a Wednesday-Sunday or Thursday-Monday schedule. The Guest Experience Coordinator position reports to the Guest Experience Manager, and assists with the day-to-day management of Guest Experience volunteers and interns.
- Strong communication, inter-personal and writing skills
- Emerging training skills, with the ability to teach marine science content to guest experience volunteers
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to a variety of audiences
- Ability to create activities and programs for the public and assist in coordinating special events
- Ability to multi-task while being very efficient with time
- Skill and ability with using Microsoft Office Suite of programs
- Ability to communicate well and work as part of a multidisciplinary team to advance the mission of The Center
- Nurture positive relationship between docents and the Center based on an appreciation for their unique role in providing informal, interactive and engaging instruction to visitors
- Assists with training and supervision of Guest Experience volunteers and interns to provide exceptional experiences as the Center’s guest services and interpretive leads
- Working closely with Guest Experience Staff, develop, implement and analyze individual docent and tour leader evaluations
- Develop engaging activities and exhibits that enhance the Center’s mission and scientific content
- Assist Education Department in understanding our audience, why they come to visit the Center and choose to participate in our programs, and assisting in promotional pieces dealing with new and existing audiences
- Implementation of recognition, retention, and motivation programs for education volunteers
- Maintain first-hand knowledge of education volunteer positions by providing support in the form of on-the-floor docent interpretation and tour coverage.
- Under the direction of the Guest Experience Manager, acts as the lead staff person directing the opening and closing of The Center to the public and providing daily information provided to volunteers
- Provides instruction, direction and guidance to Guest Experience volunteers
- Assists with coordination of Docent-Led Tour Program, including scheduling, preparing and maintaining materials, training and budgeting
- Assists with the creation and implementation of comprehensive program and exhibit content evaluation plan
- Assists in the coordination and development of Marine Science Sunday and other education-led special exhibits and events
- Assists Guest Experience Manager in responding to (or directing) public phone inquiries and general information requests
- Assists in management of data from docent-led tours and daily visitor counts.
- Assists in oversight of public areas for safety, visitor amenities (brochures, clean restrooms, etc.) and general maintenance of the Center
- Participates in the general maintenance of Education Classroom and storage areas
- Attends educational workshops, classes and conferences as directed
- Adheres to The Center’s personnel policies and procedures as defined in the employee handbook and as communicated by management
- Assists in ongoing evaluation of Guest Experience programs, exhibits and volunteers
- Supports Extended Learning and School/Outreach Programs through collaborative program and resource planning
- Deliver Extended Learning and School/Outreach Programs, as needed
- Use appropriate technology and resources to support educational activities.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in natural sciences, education or museum studies or related field
- Minimum 1-2 years experience in delivering informal education programs.
- Experience training individuals in marine science content or related field is desirable
- Experience with video editing and graphic design desirable
- Background and/or experience in zoo/aquarium/museum settings is desirable
- Ability to drive Center vehicles and maintain a clean driving record
- Ability to stand/walk up to 3 hours without a break
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and prioritize deliverables regularly
- Ability to work with minimal day to day supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- “Can-do” attitude and willing to take on new projects as needed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Please send a cover letter and resume attention Human Resources Director & I.T. Manager email@example.com. Please put “Guest Experience Coordinator” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is January 12, 2014. Please no phone calls or faxed submissions.