Visitor Experience and Logistics Manager at the John Brown House Museum [Rhode Island Historical Society]
The Rhode Island Historical Society in Providence, RI seeks an energetic, team-oriented
candidate for the Visitor Experience and Logistics Manager position at the John Brown House Museum. The successful candidate will report to the Director of the Newell D. Goff Center for Education and Public Programs at the RIHS.
Summary of Position: The Visitor Experience and Logistics Manager will oversee the daily operations and logistics of the John Brown House Museum, the premier 18th-century historic house museum in Rhode Island. The Manager will work to increase attendance and maintain a high quality visitor experience at the Museum. The Manager will foster a strong sense of community with the Museum as its hub. Fulfilling the key role of facilitator at the Museum, the Manager will balance the needs of staff from different departments of the RIHS, visitors from diverse populations, and a cohort of Museum docents and interns. The Manager will create an atmosphere in the Museum that is welcoming and inspiring to all visitors, and conducive to learning about Rhode Island’s vibrant past.
Essential Functions: Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Schedule school and group tours at the Museum; coordinate with teacher or tour planner to arrange the appropriate program or tour; provide day-of tour support
- Work to increase Museum attendance through active outreach to teachers, librarians, media specialists, and other educators
- Recruit new docents and interns
- Develop (with Goff Director) and schedule training sessions for docents
- Work with Docent Council to schedule docent tours and monitor docent performance, enforcing standards of interpretation and customer services as determined by Education and Collections staff
- Work with Goff Director to develop and implement improved tools for gauging quality of visitor experience at the Museum
- Receive and share interpretive and collections changes in the museum?
- Oversee the daily operations and needs of the Museum
- Collect and communicate important logistical information to appropriate parties, e.g.: remain aware of maintenance issues, security concerns, meeting schedules, tours, and needs of Collections and Education staff and report urgent problems or concerns immediately
- Work with Buildings and Grounds staff to ensure that all scheduled maintenance is being done in a timely and efficient manner
- Oversee parking lot rentals at the Museum
- Supervise Bookstore volunteer who selects and purchases products
- Reconcile cash register at close of business each day
The Visitor Experience Manager must be able to give tours of the Museum, although tours will typically be given by Museum docents. The Manager supervises and monitors docents as needed, working with the Docent Council and the Tourism Services Manager to do so. The Manager must commit to working Tuesdays-Saturdays with limited Mondays as needed for school group tours. Work on occasional evenings will also be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability and experience in planning events, programs, or activities; ability to work within deadlines; detail-oriented; adept at Microsoft Office and Google platforms; ability to work with diverse groups; must enjoy working with children; background or interest in education, museums, and/or history as well as 3-5 years’ experience in managing staff or volunteers preferred.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree preferred
This is a full-time position (37.5 hours/week). Benefits include health insurance, paid sick and vacation days, and paid holidays.
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information for three references to:firstname.lastname@example.org with “Visitor Experience Manager” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.