The Manager of Communications writes press releases, media alerts, and other communications items. The position also cultivates and maintains key relationships with general and specialized media through telephone, email, and personal interaction. The Manager assists in outreach to the local community and with special Morgan audiences, including social media followers on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms and applications. The position also maintains regular interaction with the Web Manager to keep information on the Morgan’s website up-to-date and fresh. Additional responsibilities include working with the department’s director to develop annual communications plans, interacting regularly with the Department of Imaging and Rights to clear image rights and maintain the communications image archive, and helping select and manage interns assigned to the department.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or humanities field, preferably related to the Morgan’s holdings
– At least two to three years of media relations work at a major cultural institution or comparable non-profit environment
– Superior verbal and written communications skills, with experience dealing with arts and cultural media
– Adept at working in Microsoft Office, with knowledge of Photoshop and other creative programs a plus
– Demonstrable experience working in social media, particularly Facebook and Twitter
– Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to manage several projects simultaneously with attention to detail
– Ability to function with diplomacy and tact with colleagues from many different departments
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefit plan.