Apply by July 4
The Institute of Contemporary Art seeks an enthusiastic and organized Assistant Registrar. The individual should be able to work at a busy pace, multi-task, and be a good problem solver. The Assistant Registrar will assist the Registrar in the management of the ICA’s collection, and work as part of a team to organize and mount exhibitions and touring-exhibition programs. The individual will be responsible for a broad range of registration functions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist the Registrar in coordinating the packing and transport of artwork. Generate all necessary documents such as loan agreements, crate lists, insurance lists and packing reports, for incoming loans and exhibition tours.
- Manage aspects of ICA Collection, including paperwork related to accessions, rights and reproductions, long-term preservation and storage plans.
- Develop, maintain and expand the collections database (TMS) and Crystal Reports.
- During installation periods, complete condition and packing reports.
- Assist with maintaining and organizing the ICA’s exhibition archive and library, and answer research requests pertaining to the history of the institution.
- Perform administrative duties associated with the Registrar’s responsibilities, including contacting vendors for estimates, working within assigned budgets, and overall office organization and filing.
- Maintain and clean objects in the galleries, as required and in conjunction with the Preparators and Facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Museum Studies or related field; M.A. and/or Museum Studies certificate preferred
- 2-3 years of related experience in a museum or art organization setting, preferably in registration or exhibition planning
- Experience with fine arts packing, shipping, handling and condition reporting required
- Excellent organization, communication and computer skills are required; knowledge of TMS is desirable
- Must be flexible, work well under pressure and able to meet tight deadlines
- Must also be willing to work flexible hours and be on-call when necessary.
Interested candidates should send letter of interest, resume and salary history to email@example.com. When applying include “Assistant Registrar” in subject line of email.
We are located at 100 Northern Avenue, Boston and accessible by public transportation (Red Line and Silver Line).
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer.
July 04, 2014