Applications Due July 11, 2014.
The Associate Preparator working under the supervision of the Head Preparator is responsible for the installation and maintenance of all art in the museum building(s) including, special exhibitions, traveling shows, educational galleries/installations, and other projects as assigned by the Chief Curator and Registrar. Working with the Head Preparator, other responsibilities include the installation and maintenance of all art in the Sculpture Park. Additionally, both the Head Preparator and Associate Preparator are responsible for the permanent collection, including its care, transport, framing, installation, whether said projects occur inside or outside the museum building or campus. Experience with AV installations is highly desired.
The Head Preparator and Associate Preparator work closely with the Curators, Registrar, Educators, artists, contractors and others as required to organize, plan, and execute exhibitions, artist installations, and educational projects.
The Associate Preparator works under the supervision of the Preparator to insure that the priorities of the department as expressed by the Registrar and Senior Curator are supported.
1. Collaborates with the Head Preparator and Curator(s) for assigned projects in planning, layout and logistics.
2. Collaborates with the Head Preparator and Educator(s) for assigned projects in planning and installation of Education components.
3. Supports artists and curators in the planning, fabrication, and installation of complex, site-specific or project-based works. Maintains clear and open dialogue with artists on projects, provides creative problem-solving in order to assist artists in realizing their vision/goals, and works collaboratively and adaptively ensuring the artist receives the necessary support and counsel from the institution at all times.
4. Assists the Head Preparator sourcing and scheduling contractors for all projects. Ensures contractors provide competitive pricing, work safely, and follow all DeCordova policies and procedures.
5. Fabricates all necessary components for assigned projects: platforms, bases, pads, pedestals partitions, walls and vitrines.
6. Installs exhibition related graphics, or arranges for contract installation as
7. Orders and maintains installation related materials and tools.
8. Designs and implements gallery and sculpture park lighting as required.
9. Fabricates and installs park/sculpture/exhibition labels and/or didactics as
10. Drives museum truck for the pickup and delivery of artwork.
11. Oversees the rigging and installation of large scale outdoor sculpture.
12. Prepares works of art for travel, including building crates when necessary.
13. Mats and frames permanent collection artwork for museum exhibitions or loan.
14. In conjunction with the Preparator, establishes a regular schedule of maintenance and
and cleaning for outdoor sculptures. Ensures said work is done professionally and in a
manner consistent with conservation goals.
15. Coordinates with Head of Buildings & Grounds as required (eg, mulching, grass
replanting, etc) to ensure high-quality presentation of Sculpture Park works.
16. Works with the Head Preparator, Registrar, Curator(s) and Director to improve the quality of design, project installations and professional standards.
17. Other duties as assigned.
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. The deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum offers an excellent fringe benefits package to include health and dental insurance, flexible spending plan, 403(b) retirement plan and paid time off.
- B.A. or B.F.A. and three years appropriate experience
- Manual skills and knowledge of trades
- Experience overseeing the rigging and installation of large scale outdoor sculpture
- Familiarity with museum standards for handling and installing works of art
- Strong background and experience implementing AV installations
- Knowledge of archival framing and matting techniques
- Ability to effectively plan, communicate, and coordinate installations with the Preparator, Registrar, Curators, artists and tradesmen
- Ability to solicit, evaluate, and engage high-quality outside contractors and firms for projects and communicate museum requirements and standards effectively
- Familiarity with standard safety procedures
- Must be organized as well as flexible, and able to be self-directed in prioritizing tasks and work
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and access deCordova’s thirty acres of hilly outdoor terrain and indoor facilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team work required
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and resume to: Brian McNamara, Head Preparator email@example.com, and copying firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
When applying by email, include “Associate Preparator” in subject line of email. Applications may be mailed to: deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum, Attn: Human Resources, 51 Sandy Pond Road, Lincoln, MA 01773. Please, no phone calls.
July 11, 2014