Posted August 6, 2014.
Reporting to the Director, this senior position at the Davis Museum at Wellesley College provides active leadership in the Museum’s administration in accordance with its educational mission and objectives, including overall management and long-term strategic planning. The ability to work collaboratively with the Museum Director and the other senior managers and staff, to communicate effectively with a diverse community of faculty, students, college administrators, and patrons, and to develop effective management and financial policies is critical to this position.
Working closely with the Director, the Associate Director for Operations and Collections Management is responsible for administration and financial management (accounting, budgeting, staffing, and performance tracking), collections care and management (registration, conservation, information, exhibitions and preparation), museum technology (media installations and production), security and facilities (building), and daily operations for the Davis.
• Recommends and administers policies, protocols, and procedures in the areas of collections, finance, technology, security and facilities, and manages staff in these areas.
• Oversees and participates in development and administration of budget; oversees and forecasts funds required for staffing, exhibitions and collections care, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures and budgetary adjustments; liaison to Wellesley College financial offices.
• Oversees and ensures proper maintenance of facilities, and acts as liaison to Wellesley College physical plant office.
• Oversees work plan for collections and security departments, and facilities projects.
• Participates in strategic long-term planning.
• Excellent demonstrated leadership, administration, analytical and strategic planning skills.
• Ability to provide leadership, vision and coordination in overall management of Museum departments and
• Experience in managing staff and proven ability to lead /inspire/ supervise personnel and ensure a professional approach to Museum operations.
• Extensive experience in the preparation of financial statements; knowledge of fund accounting and not-for-profit management.
• Experience leading an institute-wide budget process to completion on a timely basis and then providing ongoing monitoring of financial performance and measuring against approved budgets.
• Ability to prepare and present understandable and informative financial reports to the Director, staff, and relevant committees.
• Experience reviewing contracts and other legal documents; ability to involve and manage outside counsel and consultants as needed.
• Experience in a not-for-profit cultural organization, or in higher education, preferably arts-related.
• Personal skills of high-energy leadership, flexibility, intellectual curiosity, and openness in working with a wide range of staff in a fast-paced environment. Commitment to education and excellence. Discretion, confidentiality, professionalism, and enthusiasm for collaboration.
Position Status: Full time, exempt. Excellent benefits.
BA with significant business or arts administration concentration; MA, MBA, or Master of Arts Administration preferred.
Five to seven years in a not-for-profit and/or museum setting.
To apply online, please use the following link: https://career.wellesley.edu or to: Human Resources Office, Wellesley College, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA 02481. Electronic submissions are preferred. Position is open until filled.
Wellesley College is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX College. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. The College is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who believe they will contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply.
Visit our website at http://www.wellesley.edu/hr