Posted August 4, 2014
New-York Historical Society Exhibition Aides are responsible for all aspects of in-house exhibition
preparation and fabrication including installation, de-installation, maintenance, and lighting. Exhibition
Aides work closely with the Design department, Collections department, Conservation, and other departments within the organization.
• Fabricate, paint, and install exhibition display furniture and casework.
• Maintain woodshop tools, keep shop organized, and clean shop at end of each day.
• Install & maintain exhibition lighting. Maintain lighting storage area.
• Maintain and repair exhibitions in all galleries. Routine exhibition inspection.
• Gallery wall preparation.
• Order necessary exhibition materials and supplies.
• Mountmaking for historic objects and artifacts.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Essential Physical Functions
• Must be able to lift 50+ pounds,
• Run up and down stairs, comfortable working on ladders, and physical agility in tight spaces.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• Must have at least 5 years museum or gallery experience.
• Ability to interpret shop drawings.
• Experience with carpentry, painting, and lighting
• Ability to safely use table saw, chop saw, router, drill press, band-saw, drill gun, and hand tools.
• Must be comfortable driving and working on genie lift up to 20’ above floor.
• Knowledge of light fixtures and lenses, fiber optic lighting systems, & basic electrical skills.
• Art Handling experience: ability to work around, move, install, and handle artwork and artifacts.
• Knowledge of conservation standards.
• AV experience, mountmaking (silver soldering brass), and model making skills a plus.
• Experience with Vectorworks a plus
• Must be a team player, troubleshooter, and collaborative problem solver.
For consideration please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. In the subject line please reference the job title.The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.