The Preservation Society of Newport County is inviting applications for consideration for one-year research fellowships beginning in July 2014. Fellows receive a stipend plus benefits and housing in Newport for the duration of the fellowship. Scholars working on a wide range of topics are invited to submit proposals that use Newport’s vast cultural resources to examine the topic of “North and South” as it relates to history, culture, design, and the arts. Topics may include (but are not limited to) Newport’s relationship with southern port cities during the Colonial Era; individuals (architects, designers, politicians, industrialists, etc), families or businesses with strong connections to Newport and the American South, the Caribbean, or South America; Atlantic studies, or regional trends, relationships and differences in Beaux-Arts architecture. We encourage broad interpretation of the theme.
Deadline for applications is February 15, 2014.
After reviewing all applications, fellowship finalists will be selected for in-person or telephone interviews.
An M.A. or Ph.D. in a relevant academic field such as the history of art, architecture or the decorative arts, landscape design history, historic preservation, material culture, literature, cultural geography, history, and public policy as it relates to cultural heritage. Doctoral candidates conducting dissertation research will also be considered. Proven ability to organize and manage multiple projects and meet rigorous deadlines is necessary, as are strong research, writing, and public speaking skills. A minimum of one to two years working in a museum environment and demonstrated experience with object-based learning are required.
- Application form: Complete the application form. Available for download here (.pdf)
- Project proposal: Please provide an abstract (250-500 words) describing your project, the work you plan to undertake in Newport and the surrounding area, and identifying specific resources in local institutions and/or repositories that will inform your work.
- Vita: Please provide a copy of your current curriculum vitae.
- References: Please provide two letters of reference from scholars or advisors who are familiar with your work.
- Reference letters: Please instruct your reference writers to submit their letters via email to fellowships@NewportMansions.org. The email subject should include your last name and the word “reference”
- Application: E-mail your complete application, including application form, essay, and vita to fellowships@NewportMansions.org. Please put your name in the subject line.