- Bai, Y., L. Costlow, A. Ebel, S. Laves, Y. Ueda, N. Volin, M. Zamek, A. Herforth, and W.A. Masters, 2021. Retail food prices around the world: Systematic assessment of data from national governments and international agencies. Food Prices for Nutrition project working paper available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=3802091
Overviews – multiple methods
- Herforth, A., Y. Bai, A. Venkat, K. Mahrt, A. Ebel & W.A. Masters (2020). Cost and affordability of healthy diets across and within countries. Background paper for the State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2020. FAO Agricultural Development Economics Technical Study No. 9. Rome: FAO (108 pages).
- Full report: fao.org/publications/sofi
- Masters, W.A., Y. Bai, A. Herforth, D. Sarpong, F. Mishili, J. Kinabo, and J.C. Coates (2018), Measuring the affordability of nutritious diets in Africa: Price indexes for diet diversity and the cost of nutrient adequacy. American J. of Agricultural Economics 100(5, October): 1285-1301. [replication file]
Cost of nutrient adequacy
- Bai, Y., R. Alemu, S.A. Block, D. Headey and W.A. Masters, W.A. (2020). Cost and affordability of nutritious diets at retail prices: Evidence from 177 countries. Food Policy, e101983.
- Bai, Y., E. Naumova and W.A. Masters (2020). Seasonality in diet costs reveals food system performance in East Africa. Science Advances, eabc2162.
- Schneider, K. & Herforth, A. (2020). Software tools for practical application of human nutrient requirements in food-based social science research. Gates Open Research 4:179.
Cost of recommended diets
- Raghunathan, K., D. Headey and A. Herforth (2020), Affordability of nutritious diets in rural India. Food Policy, in press (e101982). [media: Hindustan Times, The Hindu]
- Hirvonen, K., Y. Bai, D. Headey and W.A. Masters (2020), Affordability of the EAT–Lancet reference diet: a global analysis. Lancet Global Health, 8(1): e59-e66. [media, tv, webinar, cover, 2-pager]
- Dizon, F., A. Herforth and Z. Wang (2019), The cost of a nutritious diet in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Global Food Security 21(June): 38-51.
- Dizon F and Herforth A. (2018). The cost of nutritious food in South Asia. Policy Research Working Paper Series. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank Group.
- Mahrt, K., D.L. Mather, A. Herforth, and D. Headey (2019). Household dietary patterns and the cost of a nutritious diet in Myanmar. Discussion Paper 1854. Washington, DC: IFPRI.
- Bai, Y. and W.A. Masters (2020), Retail food prices at purchasing power parity exchange rates. World Bank data blog, 26 May 2020.
- Herforth, A. (2020). Three Billion People Cannot Afford Healthy Diets. What Does This Mean for the Next Green Revolution? CSIS, Washington, 23 Sept. 2020.
- Masters, W.A., Y. Bai, K. Hirvonen and D. Headey (2019), Can the world’s poor afford a healthy diet? VoxDev column, 13 Dec. 2019.
- Herforth, A.W. and W.A. Masters (2019), Indicators and tools for the cost of nutritious diets. Informational booklet for ANH Academy (6 pages, 15 June 2019).
- Cost of Nutritious Diets Consortium (2018). Indicators and tools for the cost of nutritious diets. Boston, MA: Tufts University (13 pages, 31 May 2018).
- Masters, W.A. (2019), Cost of nutritious diets as a policy indicator. One-page brief for USAID Feed the Future policy listening sessions, 28 October 2019.