A non-exempt, full-time position, eligible for benefits.
40 Hours per week.
Calling all lovers of all things science related. If you are interested in sharing your passions with kids of all ages the Powerhouse Science Center is looking for you. We are seeking an educator to join us in our mission of conducting informal educational programs in and out of the building. The Educational Specialist is accountable to the Educational Program Manager.
Powerhouse Science Center has served the Sacramento region for 60 years as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency, providing an informal hands-on educational experience for children, families and school groups in 19 counties. We are in transition to become a world-class science center for all ages – and will be relocating to the historic PG&E Powerhouse building along the Sacramento River north in downtown in a few short years. This is a unique opportunity for a passionate informal educator interested in joining our growing team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Educational Specialist will conduct school programs and assist with program set up and maintenance together with other related duties as needed. The Educational Specialist leads the on-site program instruction for school groups and resets the classroom and outdoor simulation excavation site after each program.
The Education Specialist is responsible for but not limited to:
- Delivering Challenger center school missions
- Delivering planetarium presentations as needed
- Assisting in planning and implementing laboratory based programs
- Conducting archaeology school program
- Program reset and maintenance of all associated programming
- Organization and upkeep of program materials
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Interest and understanding of a wide variety of scientific disciplines including Astronomy, Physical and Space Sciences, Biological Sciences, and Engineering.
- Experience within the museum or educational fields.
- Experience working with the public, school groups and volunteers of all ages.
- Excellent written communication, customer service, public speaking, and listening skills.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art degree in Science, Education, or Museum Studies or equivalent knowledge or experience.
- At least one year working with children in an educational setting
- Willingness to work weekend days regularly plus some evenings and holidays.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS:
- Lift 60 pounds
- Use shovel, rake, other outdoor tools and move loaded wheelbarrows
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Communicate effective, both orally and in written form
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Science Center employees, community members and volunteers
- Work a flexible schedule which may include weekends, occasional holidays, and evenings
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Vehicle with Proof of Insurance
- Current Tetanus vaccination required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, Publisher
- Familiarity with general office equipment and procedures
- Effective verbal and written communications
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to
Rita Mukherjee Hoffstadt, Deputy Director, firstname.lastname@example.org