This unit is intended to engage students with understanding what food is and what happens to it before it lands on our plates. Students start the unit by examining the industrial food chain and learning about the additives in food and what they’re for – are additives necessarily bad? Students then investigate the concept of nutritive value and the different components of food and what they’re for. This unit concludes with a lesson about the ‘MyPlate’ nutrition tracker, and students start their own food diaries that will accompany them throughout the module.
- 1.1: What does food mean?
- 1.2: What’s in your food besides food?
- 1.3: Food Safety
- 1.4: Virtual Calorimetry lab
- 1.5: Macro- and Micronutrients
- 1.6: Nutrition and caloric needs are impacted by lifestyle — MyPlate
- Assessment opportunity: Unit 1 Quest