This unit explores in more detail the processes by which the nutrients in food become available, and how the body uses them. We will begin with digestion and absorption, and then use biochemistry to understand how the body shuttles energy and nutrients into and out of storage. A major emphasis of this unit is the concept of homeostasis with respect to blood glucose levels. We will see that the body is in a constant quest to make sure that glucose is available, and at adequate levels. We will explore the pathways the body can use to maintain homeostasis of glucose and we will understand the impacts fasting and feasting have on weight loss and weight gain.
- 2.1: Digestion – From the mouth to the bloodstream
- 2.2: Metabolism – How do your cells release energy from food?
- 2.3: Glucose homeostasis in the blood – The Metabolism Game
- 2.4: Glucose homeostasis in the blood (2)
- 2.5: Disorders of metabolism – Where do things go wrong?
- 2.6: From scrawny to brawny – How metabolism and exercise work together
- Assessment opportunity: Unit 2 Quest