In this unit we will focus on the question: What is metabolic disease? We will first define and investigate the metabolic and physiological causes of obesity. Once we understand what obesity is, we can relate it to diseases like diabetes and atherosclerosis, which are both affected by obesity. In all the lessons, the information is connected directly to lifestyle choices that are modifiable.
- 3.1: What is obesity and how does BMI relate?
- 3.2: What is fast and slow metabolism?
- 3.3: What makes us feel hungry or full?
- 3.4: Can you become addicted to food?
- 3.5: Homeostasis gone awry — how does the satiety pathway relate to obesity?
- 3.6: How does obesity lead to disease?
- 3.7: Metabolic Mystery Patient Lab