TITLE: Internships Coordinator
DEPT: Volunteer Programs & Internships
REPORTS TO: Manager, Volunteer Programs & Internships
HOURS: Full Time Regular, Monday- Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm, 35 hours per week with the flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends as needed.
The Internships Coordinator recruits and screens applicants for intern positions, coordinates the placement and on-boarding process and serves as a resource to active volunteers and interns providing guidance and support. Also assists in the design and implementation of continuing education programs for volunteers & interns, aides in the screening and placement of volunteers, provides administrative support to the department and assists the Manager in implementing special programs and events.
1. Receives and processes internship applications for Spring, Summer, Fall, and January term cycles each year.
2. Interviews, in-person or over the telephone, 20-60 applicants each month.
3. Maintains a high level of knowledge about departments and jobs at the Aquarium. Identifies appropriate candidates for open intern and volunteer positions and presents them to the department for consideration.
4. Assists Manager in designing and implementing professional development, networking, and continuing education programs to benefit interns and volunteers.
5. Conducts orientation for new volunteers and interns and completes the on-boarding process.
6. Responds to a high volume of telephone and email inquiries from potential volunteers and interns in a timely fashion and demonstrating superior customer service.
7. Serves as recruiter at college volunteer and internship fairs, community fairs and other relevant events.
8. Assists Manager in planning and implementing events and meetings.
9. Contributes to ongoing communications, newsletters, and social media efforts relating to volunteers & interns.
10. Assists Manager with the screening, placement, and on boarding of one-shot and regular volunteer candidates.
11. Creates and distributes volunteer and intern identification cards and uniforms.
12. Maintains office equipment and supplies. Manages mail, and maintains volunteer database and files.
13. Organizes and maintains the volunteer lounge area.
14. Assists Manager with volunteer and site supervisory support as needed.
15. Performs other position related duties as assigned.
16. Works Monday through Friday with occasional night and weekend hours to assist with special events or programs.
Minimum Training and Experience
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience.
• Specific degree preferred: volunteer administration, hospitality, museum studies, adult development, human resources, education, psychology, or sociology.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with a broad range of people in a customer service related capacity. Experience interviewing a plus.
• Experience screening, interviewing, and on boarding preferred.
• Experience designing and implementing coursework, lectures, meetings or programs for audiences over the age of 18.
• Experience working with teens and adults from diverse racial/socioeconomic populations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience writing in a business setting preferred.
• Detail oriented, highly organized with administrative experience in a fast-paced environment.
• Self-motivated; strong problem-solving skills; ability to work independently as well as on a team.
• Computer skills (experience with MS Office, Constant Contact and online databases such as Volgistics) preferred.
• A commitment to and interest in promoting and participating in diversity related efforts.
• A driver’s license is preferred for recruiting.
New England Aquarium is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Leave a Reply