Curator of Collections
Full time position
The Curator of Collections directs and oversees the care, maintenance, housing, and access for A&H Museums collections and historic site. S/he manages informational data, forms, and legal documents related to gifts, loans, conservation, in-house, and traveling exhibitions, and insurance and shipping. The Curator Collections is responsible for the Museum’s IPM (integrated pest management) program, gallery maintenance and cleaning program, and climate monitoring. The Curator of Collections reports to the Chief Curator and works closely with the Curator of History and Director of Operations. S/he will supervise volunteers and interns in collections care. Must be available some evenings and weekends as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for implementing policies that relate to the care of the collection and historic site.
- Oversee development and maintenance program for collections.
- Oversee and implement routine Cleaning Program for collection storage areas and galleries, IPM (integrated pest management) program, and climate monitor/tracking.
- Manage all collection records including object files, rights and reproductions, and cataloging of new acquisitions.
- Oversee incoming and outgoing loans, maintaining all related records.
- Maintain complete and accurate electronic and hard copies of all object records; responsible for all digital and paper documentation related to the permanent collection and historic site in collaboration with the museum’s Chief Curator.
- Catalogue new acquisitions in collaboration with the Museum’s Curators.
- Maintain the Collection Management Database (PastPerfect) and data input management including digital images.
- Manage correspondence and logistics associated with loans to the museum including loan agreements, loan records, insurance, shipments, and condition reports.
- Participate in regular departmental staff meetings as well as other interdepartmental meetings as directed.
- Supervise interns, and volunteers who are assigned to curatorial areas.
In addition to the above listed duties the Curator of Collections will:
- Assist with installation of changing exhibitions in all museum areas as well as off-site locations.
- Assist/coordinate installation of rotating exhibitions in onsite galleries including history facilities
- Knowledge of accepted registration, collection management, art handling, and preventative conservation practices in line with AAM standards of care.
- Working knowledge of PastPerfect museum database and other computer programs
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work flexible hours when required
- Skill with tools and knowledge of building materials
- Ability to lift objects weighing 50lbs or more
- Ability to work independently or with a team
Required Education and Experience:
- B.A., M.A. or equivalent experience in art history, museum studies and/or fine art.
- 2-3 years working in a collections/curatorial capacity in a museum setting.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to Rebecca@artandhistory.org with subject line: “Curator of Collections.” Please include your last name in the attached document file names, for example: “Smith_Resume”.
No phone calls please.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB