Title: Asstistant/Associate Curator
Salary Grade: 9
Job Status: Part/time
Schedule: 4 hrs/day; 20 hrs/wk; 12 months
Reports to: Curator of Education
Date: May 1, 2015
Department: The Trout Gallery / Dickinson College
General Summary of Responsibilities: The assistant/associate curator of education works with the curator of education to develop and implement interpretive programming for The Trout Gallery—the art museum of Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Position reports to the curator of education.
Education and Experience Required: BA or BFA in studio art, education, art education, museum studies, art history, or related field is required, and a deep commitment to art education. Museum experience and an MA/MFA a plus. Excellent interpersonal and oral communications skills, and ability to work as a team. Experience teaching and/or working with children in an educational setting. Ability to work productively with diverse constituencies, including schools, community agencies, institutions, and the public. Skilled at developing and marketing events and programs. Supervisory experience, web and social media design, and a strong studio art background are desirable.
Supervisory Responsibilities: student interns/docents, student work-study employees, student ambassadors.
Works with and assist the curator of education to:
- Develop specific interpretative programs and preparation of written material and packaging of educational materials based on experience and education level;
- Implement a strategic plan for community outreach initiatives that fulfills the museum’s mission;
- Manage reservations and delivering tours to K-12 school group visitors and audiences enrolled in summer programs;
- Develop teacher packets, family guides, and other education materials;
- Develop and manage after-school and Saturday programming as part of the overall education calendar;
- Manage the museum’s participation in selected local festivals and events;
- Supervise and train student interns;
- Form strategic alliances with teachers and administration at area K-12 schools and organizations and institutions in the Carlisle community;
- Support social media and digital initiatives;
- Maintain statistics and database related to education programming; and
- Maintain and organize art supplies, equipment, and space in the museum’s Mumper-Stuart Education Center.
- Occasional use of simple manual hardware tools and art-related materials and equipment.
- Other duties as assigned and determined
Software Programs Used:
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Powerpoint
- Adobe Acrobat
Various social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, Flicker, Instagram, WordPress)
Ability to climb a standard flight of stairs efficiently and frequently over the course of each day. Ability to lift 30 lbs. unaided and 60 lbs. with assistance. Ability to push or pull 60 lbs. on wheels. Ability to work in crouched or twisted positions. Very good visual and audio acuity. Ability to see all colors in the normal visible spectrum.
Personal Protective Equipment: None
Upload applications at https://jobs.dickinson.edu
The Trout Gallery
PO Box 1773
Carlisle, Pennsylvania 17013