The Trustees of Reservations is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. We preserve and protect places of natural, scenic and historic beauty and hold these “reservations” in “trust” for public use and enjoyment. Our passion is to improve the quality of life in the Commonwealth, using our properties and their many programs as a powerful and compelling platform to engage more residents and visitors in our mission-driven work. We believe in protecting the irreplaceable forever, for everyone. Today, we care for 112 special reservations – from beaches to farms, gardens and historic sites – within minutes of every resident. Funded and supported entirely by our nearly 2 million visitors and supporters, and more than 100,000 members, we invite you to find your place.
The General Manager for Naumkeag and Mission House reports to the Regional Director and serves as a member of the West Region Management Team for The Trustees of Reservations. The General Manager is accountable for developing the long term vision for Naumkeag and Mission House in alignment with the Strategic Plan of The Trustees, and with the direction of the Regional Director. While the General Manager will work with both properties, Naumkeag will be the primary focus of the portfolio. He/she will create and implement the vision and business plans with Statewide and Regional objectives and based on a through knowledge and understanding of the historic, cultural, agricultural and natural significance of Naumkeag and its “Spirit of Place.” He/she will lead the staff and volunteers in working effectively together to take responsibility to achieve the vision. He/she will ensure the long term financial sustainability of Naumkeag through the delivery of specific goals related to engagement, stewardship, cultural resources, visitor experience, volunteers, farming, enterprise growth and general management.
This position is based in Stockbridge and will include travel across the West region. Occasional travel across the state is also required. The work schedule of the General Manager requires flexibility in terms of evening and weekend commitments.
Leadership and Management:
- Establish the vision and direction to drive property performance forward and deliver results aligned with statewide, regional and local strategies and key performance indicators. Ensure the property objectives are balanced with regard to engagement, stewardship, enterprise and conservation objectives.
- Create and implement a property business plan identifying the resources needed for delivery (both financial and human resources). Communicate the successes to key staff, volunteers and internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead and inspire the team, including the local, regional and statewide staff by creating a team environment which fosters individual commitment, enthusiasm and confidence and ensures effective teamwork and communication.
Engagement, Volunteers, Membership and Audience Development:
- Create an engaging visitor experience and audience engagement plan that grows the involvement of members of The Trustees in the Berkshires region and its programs, events, and tours.
- Actively champion volunteerism at Naumkeag and the surrounding properties. Ensure excellent training, management and recognition of volunteers.
- Develop and implement a rewards program that grows membership and creates a high performing sales team.
- Engage with the local community to promote a forward- looking culture that contributes to increasing visibility and affinity with The Trustees.
Stewardship of Cultural, Natural and Agricultural Resources:
- Create a comprehensive stewardship plan that ensures Naumkeag is conserved, preserved and stewarded (collections, landscape, gardens and agricultural lands, buildings etc) for the future, in line with the statewide stewardship, farm management and collections standards of The Trustees.
- Promote and develop a working culture which incorporates sound sustainable practices in all areas of our stewardship work.
- Focus on long term stewardship planning for the house, gardens and farm as part of the multi-year and multi-million dollar restoration plans.
- Develop and implement the vision for the farm and agricultural components of Namkeag.
Financial Performance Management:
- Set and achieve financial targets including stretch goals and ensure their delivery.
- Ensure that plans are approved and implemented in a timely fashion and reflect cost effective deployment of resources. Monitor and deploy these resources in line with the plan.
- Realize existing and new opportunities for generating income, ensuring the optimum use of all assets and work closely with the West Region, Program Leadership, Marketing, Development and Finance to realize plans.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 5+ years of leadership and management experience.
- Positive team player with ability to collaborate with professional and volunteer leaders internally and externally.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and flexibility a must.
- A passionate commitment to the values and mission of The Trustees.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with business strategy and planning.
- Background in audience development, customer service and volunteer development.
- Familiar with financial management principles.
- Versed in the operational management of complex cultural, natural and agricultural resources.
- Strong inspirational leadership and management skills preferably with experience managing multi-disciplinary teams including volunteers and staff who are not direct reports.
- Evidence of creativity and collaboration across departments and in a large organization.
- Sound computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, including public presentations.
This is a full-time, exempt position located in western Massachusetts and based primarily out of Stockbridge. The work schedule requires flexibility in terms of evening and weekend commitments. Travel within the region and to other Trustees offices across the state using a personal vehicle is also required.
As a full-time employee, the General Manager is eligible to participate in benefits offered by the Trustees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 401(k) savings plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLY NOW – General Manager, Naumkeag
No phone calls please.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
May 25, 2015