Department: Buildings and Grounds
Reports To: President
Effective Date: October 2015
Salary level: Commensurate with Experience
The EcoTarium, a museum of science and nature, seeks a Facilities Director to manage and oversee operations, maintenance, administration, and improvement of the museum’s several properties in WorcesterCounty. Supervising a Facilities Support team and working with staff of other EcoTarium Departments, the Facilities Director will ensure that buildings, grounds, attractions and infrastructure meet the needs of guests and help fulfill the mission, strategy and goals of the organization.
- Recruit, select, train, develop, and supervise members of the Facilities Support Team.
- Conduct meetings and provide effective leadership of the Team.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate general maintenance, janitorial services, snow removal, landscaping, major repairs, and remodeling and construction projects for the properties.
- Ensure that in-house and contracted maintenance and construction projects are conducted in a manner that is safe for visitors of all ages and abilities, staff, live animals, exhibits and collections objects.
- Manage large capital projects
- Create routine preventative maintenance plan including regular facilities audits, schedule for preventative repairs, and evaluation.
- Regularly inspect grounds, facilities, and equipment- including a 2/5-scale train and tracks- to determine needed repairs or maintenance.
- Successfully lead and manage contractors.
- Confer with management to define project specifications and procedures.
- Prepare and manage project and annual department budgets.
- Prepare and negotiate yearly grounds keeping and preventative maintenance contracts.
- Report regularly to senior management and attend regular senior staff meetings.
- Oversee equipment procurement and maintenance
- Oversee telecommunications, technology and utilities infrastructure and service providers.
- Attend the regular meeting of and provide summary reports to various standing EcoTarium committees.
- Review and evaluate existing programs, services, policies and procedures.
- Enforce the EcoTarium’s Safety policies and act as a lead member of the EcoTarium’s Safety Committee.
- Manage Work Order Request System, and make sure that concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Function as contact for facilities emergencies and be accessible via phone after-hours.
- Administer and direct security policies and manage security systems.
- Meet with city officials, city boards and community groups as needed to initiate projects, maintain safety, build positive relationships and facilitate the operation of the EcoTarium as a responsible member of the community and a good neighbor.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- A Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience required.
- Familiar with industry standard AIA and AGC contracts and documents.
- Familiar with basic building code and life safety regulations.
- Previous experience in the museum, zoo, and not-for-profit sectors is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of engineering and architectural drawings and specifications.
- Proficient with standard office software applications including, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook and Microsoft Project Scheduling.
- Working knowledge of Auto CAD and Revit is preferred.
- Proven experience identifying and communicating complex problems
- Ability to review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement the best solution(s) in a timely manner.
- Candidate with a strong philosophy of preventative maintenance.
- Proven ability working with outside vendors and contractors.
- Proven ability to work closely in interdepartmental teams, and manage the safe completion of projects which have large impact on the basic functions of the institution including, but not limited to Collections, Exhibitry, Wildlife, Programs, and museum visitors.
- Ability to meet deadlines and make sound decisions, often under pressure.
- Strong negotiation skills with an ability to persuade, build consensus, and gain cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish organizational goals.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to delegate and manage multiple projects effectively.
- Physically able to stand, walk significant distances, and climb stairs frequently.
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs.
- Work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to supervise, motivate, and counsel employees.
- Strong communication skills – be open and honest – and have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Professional friendly manner at all times.
- Must pass a CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
Please send a cover letter, resume and names of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Facilities Director, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA01604 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please include job title in the subject line)
- Worcester, Massachusetts, 01601, United States
- December 7, 2015
- Facilities Director