The New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education seek to fill the position of Deputy Commissioner for the Office of Cultural Education. The Deputy Commissioner for Cultural Education is a senior leader in the State Education Department, who leads a dynamic cultural education program. The Deputy Commissioner oversees over 300 full time staff and an operations budget of nearly $60 million and a local aid budget of nearly $130 million. The major institutions and statewide programs of the Office of Cultural Education include:
- The New York State Archives, with responsibility for the management of all active and archival State records and with regulatory authority over all public records at the local level;
- The New York State Library, which operates a research library and the Talking Book and Braille Library for eligible upstate residents and oversees 3000 libraries and library systems statewide;
- The State Museum, the primary museum for interpretation of the natural and human history of New York State, drawing over 400,000 visitors a year. It is also a research institution, with ongoing work in biology, geology, paleontology, archaeology and history;
- The Public Broadcasting Office, which provides regulatory oversight and financial support for the educational work of New York’s 25 public radio and television stations;
- Chartering of cultural institutions across the state, as well as insuring that they meet professional standards for operating museums, historical societies, non-profit archival repositories, libraries, and public broadcasting organizations; and
- The Summer School of the Arts, which operates a program of seven one-month residential programs each summer for high-school students to receive advanced training in ballet, modern dance, orchestral music, visual arts, media arts and choral studies.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.oms.nysed.gov/hr/flyers/OCE_898_26000.htm
The successful candidate for the position will have an advanced degree in a related field AND a minimum of five years’ experience in a senior leadership role at a large complex cultural or educational organization with an annual operating budget of at least $25 million and a staff of at least 100.
For preferred qualifications, please visit: http://www.oms.nysed.gov/hr/flyers/OCE_898_26000.htm
Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
- Albany, New York, 12230, United States
- January 5, 2016
- Deputy Commissioner for Cultural Education
- New York State Education Department – Office of Cultural Education
- Master’s Degree
- 5-7 Years