This lesson focuses on epilepsy. Because epilepsy is caused by abnormal disordered neuronal activity, this lesson provides the medical application of abnormal neural circuits. The lesson begins with an activity to demonstrate the consequence of removing inhibition within a circuit. After a discussion of epilepsy, including the symptoms, types and origin of seizures, the students will analyze three patients’ EEGs and give them a diagnosis. The lesson concludes with an overview of the current treatments for epilepsy.
- Lesson Overview Video- the lesson’s key points and common questions.
Watch this video on YouTube or below:
4.6 Classroom Materials
- ND Lesson 4.6 Powerpoint [pptx]
- ND Lesson 4.6 Worksheet [pdf] or [docx]
- ND Lesson 4.6 Worksheet Answers [pdf] or [docx]
- ND Lesson 4.6 Homework Reading – Controlling Epilepsy [pdf]
4.6 Alternative Approaches