Posted June 4, 2014
TITLE: Collection Maintenance Technician
DEPARTMENT: Poorvu Family Conservation Center
REPORTS TO: Objects Conservator
TYPE: Part-time (Tuesdays 9-5); hourly/non-exempt
The Collection Maintenance Technician works with a team to carry out dusting of objects in the Museum’s collection for eight hours on Tuesdays. The Technician will be instructed by the conservation staff in methods for dusting and examining works of art. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with a strong interest in collection management, conservation, or fine art.
- Carry out dusting, vacuuming and monitoring of sculpture, textiles, furniture and other decorative arts in the Museum’s collection.
- Report changes in the condition of collection objects to conservation staff.
- Occasionally assist with other gallery maintenance activities.
- Bachelors degree completed or in progress. Bachelor of Arts preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to perform detailed tasks.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to handling art and fragile objects. Previous experience in art handling preferred.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and work while on ladders.
- Ability to handle delicate and fragile works of art.
- Ability to lift, carry, and/or push up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to lift, bend, reach, and stand for extended periods of time.
Join our dedicated, talented team of employees, interns and volunteers, who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission. To apply for this position, please follow this link to the online application—this is our preferred application method: https://isgm.applicantpro.com/jobs/105785.html . Both a cover letter and resume are required.
The Gardner Museum is committed to affording equal opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disabilities, marital status or sexual orientation. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The Museum is proud to embrace the goals of Commonwealth Compact (http://www.umb.edu/commonwealth_compact/about) and pledges to measure its progress toward those goals over time, using the Commonwealth Compact benchmarks.
We receive many resumes and kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.