The Institutional Chemical Safety Committee (ICSC) was established to provide review and oversight of research, teaching, and training spaces and activities that are associated with chemicals at Tufts University while promoting a culture of chemical safety. Specifically, the ICSC is charged to ensure that Tufts follows federal, state, and local regulations on the safe use of chemicals in our research, teaching, and training environments. The ICSC is responsible for formulating, establishing, and implementing University-wide policies and efficient procedures to support the Tufts community. This expanded oversight is designed to be in compliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Laboratory Standard (29 CFR 1910.1450), and the Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200) under 29 CFR 1910 Subpart Z: Toxic and Hazardous Substances. To this end, the ICSC will evaluate, approve, and oversee work involving chemicals in research, teaching, and training based on the criteria set forth by the committee. The ICSC will ensure that applicable safety precautions, work practices, engineering controls, trainings, medical surveillance, and incident response procedures are in place to support the safety of faculty, staff, and students. The ICSC will review reports of accidents and incidents involving chemicals, and if needed, help to ensure that appropriate corrective actions are implemented. For research, teaching, and training-related use of high-hazard chemicals, review and approval from the ICSC will be handled through a registration process.
Please follow this link or watch the video down below of training from March 2021 lead by Chemical Safety Officers Amanda Carey and Kate Barry. Please note, ICSC is no longer able to perform initial lab chemical inventories. Once the initial inventory has been completed the labs will be responsible for updating the platform. Please reach out to ICSC@tufts.edu with any questions or to set up your lab.
Required Trainings on Tufts Learning Management System:
- Welcome to BioRaft – https://tufts.myabsorb.com/#/online-courses/12eb8db1-416d-49f0-9bcc-9e8dfd52ef34
- BioRaft/ChemTracker Educational Session – https://tufts.myabsorb.com/#/instructor-led-courses/182be8e3-5de6-4aed-a333-f8a83111dbad
- BioRaft – https://tufts.bioraft.com/frontpage_panel
- Chemical Safety at Tufts – https://viceprovost.tufts.edu/chemical-safety
- Waste Pick Up Request – https://viceprovost.tufts.edu/waste-pick-requests
- Report an Accident or Emergency – https://viceprovost.tufts.edu/accident-and-incident-reporting-tufts-university-0
- Report a Safety Concern – https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/7182/index.html
- What is considered a chemical? (ICSC Chemical Inventory Policy).