Tufts University School of Dental Medicine prides itself on the opportunities available for students to do research while pursuing full-time dental studies. Students conduct research in a wide range of areas, such as dental materials, public health studies, educational research, and basic science research. The majority of our research students work on their projects during the summer weeks either after their first, second, or third year. Our Dean’s Research Scholarship program allows for five motivated and exemplary students to be involved with research as soon as they enter dental school. Read more about the effect of this scholarship program on the student research participation at TUSDM.
The Student Research Fellowship Program provides predoctoral dental students with the opportunity to earn a stipend while performing research under the supervision of University faculty. Learn more and apply.
Learn more about finding a research mentor.
Research Travel Program
Tufts predoctoral students visit domestic and international headquarters of leading dental manufactures to conduct research with industry scientists. This opportunity allows students to gain insight into the multifaceted and interdisciplinary world of dental product manufacturing. The program fosters understanding and shared information which benefits the participants, their patients, Tufts community and the profession at large. Learn more and apply.
Bates-Andrews Research Day
Each year Tufts University School of Dental Medicine holds the Bates-Andrews Research Day to honor George A. Bates, an alumnus who taught Tufts medical and dental students. Learn more.
Other Presentation Opportunities
- Charlton Lecture and Poster Competition
- Yankee Dental Congress
- ADEA Annual Session
- IADR/AADR Annual Meeting
External Opportunities and Fellowships
- American Association for Dental Research (AADR) Student Research Fellowships
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Medical Research Fellows Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Medical Research Scholars Program – Please see a write up in on this program in the Tufts Dental Magazine Spring 2018 Vol. 22 No.1
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Fogarty International Clinical Research Scholars and Fellows
- New York Academy of Medicine – David E. Rogers Student Research Fellowship Program
- The Albert Schweitzer Fellowship – Boston