Boston Harbor Island Alliance (BHIA) is a non-profit organization committed to enlivening the Boston Harbor Islands national park area by raising and managing resources, developing and implementing a wealth of free public programs, and maintaining a vibrant public space close to the heart of downtown Boston. Comprised of 34 islands and peninsulas, the Boston Harbor Islands National Park Area is a unique resource for recreation and learning. BHIA partners with a multitude of government and non-profit agencies to promote and protect this valuable open space.
The Position: This summer, BHIA seeks a motivated and energetic intern to assist with programs and events. Working closely with the programs team, the intern will help to plan and promote park programs and also help to implement those programs in the park.
• Communicating with performers, educators, and other vendors to confirm programs and arrange travel
• Promoting programs on the web using social media and online database tools
• Administering visitor surveys and compiling data
• Traveling to islands in the Boston Harbor via ferry to support events including educational tours, concerts, theater, children’s programs, and recreational activities
• Moving and setting up tents, tables, sound systems, and other event equipment
• Representing BHIA in interactions with vendors, staff and the public
• Help coordinate travel for community groups traveling through our Free Access program
• Other duties as needed
The Ideal Candidate:
• Is highly organized and punctual
• Has a strong work ethic and is good at taking direction
• Has a demonstrated interest in public parks and/or community programming and event support
• Has experience working with groups and the public, particularly in an event setting
• Can commit to working important weekend dates this summer
• Is comfortable lifting 40 pounds and willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Hours: This position is for 3-4 days per week, and weekend work is required. This position starts on June 3 and lasts until September 5.
Send a cover letter and resume to Liz Cook at email@example.com
May 04, 2015
Boston Harbor Island Alliance (BHIA), is a fourteen-year-old not-for-profit organization with a public trust, created to promote and bring to life the Boston Harbor Islands as an important and vibrant national park area, seeks a Director of Community Programs.
The 34 islands spread across 50 square miles of Boston Harbor are an outstanding recreational and educational resource. Boston’s largest open space, the islands are rich in natural beauty, environmental, cultural, and historical significance, and offer the serenity of an island retreat a few minutes’ boat trip from Boston’s downtown waterfront. The United States Congress established the Boston Harbor Islands as part of the national park system in 1996 in keeping with other great parks of this country such as Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. Congress recognized that as an asset of national significance the islands lacked both proper preservation and full awareness, use, and enjoyment by the public.
BHIA was created to generate the private resources necessary to build and maintain the Park, working in close collaboration with the National Park Service (NPS) and the multiple public and private owners of the islands, as well as with those in the broader community committed to the preservation and public enjoyment of the islands. BHIA is the non-profit organization activating the islands through economic development, marketing and educational and recreational programming.