The Metropolitan Museum of Art, one of the world’s finest museums, seeks an Assistant Membership Officer for Onsite Sales & Service. The Assistant Membership Officer is the primary supervisor of the Membership Office’s front line sales and service team. Responsible for managing staff in all aspects of Membership sales and service delivery, this role will ensure that a warm and welcoming environment is extended to all Members and visitors of the Museum, with a focus on building customer relationships that strengthen connections to the Met.
The Assistant Membership Officer is responsible for the day-to-day management of frontline Membership sales and service operations. This includes training new Membership Assistants, the maintenance of the daily and weekly staff schedules, supervision and support of staff on duty, and coaching staff when performance issues arise. This person models exemplary service skills in all interactions with internal and external customers and holds staff accountable for the Membership Department’s service standards and expectations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee daily operations of Membership sales and service team
- Supervise, train, manage performance and support Membership sales and service staff
- Ensure that Membership sales and service staff provide exemplary customer service and proactive visitor engagement
- Work with managers to identify sales and revenue goals for Membership Assistants. Track employee performance against established goals and provide training, coaching and assistance in meeting their goals.
- Manage cash controls and PCI compliance for point of sale operations. Ensure financial records are maintained in accordance with departmental and Museum policy.
- Identify and resolve customer service problems, resolving matters promptly and effectively
- Assist with special projects as necessary
- Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of five years customer service experience with track record of increased responsibility. At least one year of supervisory experience is required
- Excellent interpersonal communication, both written and verbal. Must be possess the ability to exercise good judgment, delegate tasks, and take ownership of issues as appropriate
- Ability to lead a team of staff in a complex and fast-paced environment, while also participating as a positive and active team member in the larger Membership department
- Individual must possess the ability to be professional, courteous and gracious in stressful situations
Knowledge and Education:
- College degree is required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and point-of-sale or event/admission ticketing systems is required
- Experience in working in fundraising and/or arts and cultural institutions
- Experience with PledgeMaker (or a comparable fundraising database) is preferred
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Membership Officer for Onsite Sales & Service/Membership” in the subject line.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.