POSITION SUMMARY:  The Curatorial Assistant provides support for the Curatorial department’s daily operations and will have major involvement in the research and implementation of the museum’s ambitious exhibition program.  The position handles general correspondence and requests for information, database management, support for exhibition related programs, and coordination of work on current and future exhibitions.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities

  • Conducts research for future exhibition projects, including scholarly research on artists and topics for exhibition publications.
  • Creates and maintains artist files, object files and manages database records related to current and prospective exhibition programming.
  • Secures photographic permissions and other materials as needed for publications.
  • Corresponds with colleagues, artists, and galleries.
  • Coordinates artist and public program participants’ travel and schedules.
  • Assists with general curatorial inquiries.
  • Assists Registrar and Director of Exhibitions with the development of exhibition checklists and the production of object labels.
  • Maintains exhibition schedule.
  • Manages publication mailings to donors and lenders.
  • Works closely with the Development and Publications staff on art auctions for benefit events, including tracking and creating labels for works of art to be sold.
  • Helps facilitate artist projects and the commissioning and production of new works, including the museum’s artist-in-residence program and artist editions.
  • Creates presentations for Board of Trustee’s Exhibition Committee and other meetings as needed.
  • Attends and participates in exhibition-related programs.
  • Other duties as assigned.

Requirements and Qualifications

  • Requires a bachelor’s degree in Art History (M.A. in Art History strongly preferred) and 1-2 years’ experience in a museum, or contemporary art gallery
  • Excellent working knowledge of art history, especially contemporary art and the international contemporary art world
  • Strong research, editing, and document preparation skills; strong computer skills a must
  • Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask under pressure in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
  • Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, maintain confidentiality, and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner.
  • Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills; ability to work effectively and diplomatically with staff, trustees, artists, arts professionals, press, and the public.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

  • Knowledge of AAM and department policies and procedures.
  • Computer skills to complete forms and paperwork and to use email.
  • Position is regularly required to talk or hear, use hands to type, finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms, requires ability to perceive color.


  • Ability to work independently with limited supervision and also as part of a team
  • Time management
  • Initiative
  • Thoroughness
  • Ethical
  • Writing and oral communication proficiency
  • Problem solving/analysis
  • Results-oriented, adept at seeing the big-picture, planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through

Mental and Physical Abilities

  • Able to stand or walk around work area approximately 20% of the workday; remaining time (approximately 80%) is spent seated.
  • Clear diction and adequate hearing are necessary for effective communication with coworkers, colleagues, and the public.
  • Ability to work regularly in an open environment with both visual and audible distractions.
  • Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
  • Must be able to push and pull entrance and exit doors open or closed.
  • Corrected vision, close to 20/20.
  • Ability to stoop and kneel.
  • May have exposure to extreme conditions such as heat, cold, wet, dry, various odors, fumes, smoke, noise, vibrations, dust, or intense light when performing job duties.
  • Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor environments. Work is generally performed inside in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Outdoor work varies with the event, exhibition, season, and staffing needs.

To apply, please send a letter of interest and a résumé via email to:

Job Information
  • Aspen, Colorado, 81611, United States | Colorado, United States
  • 27086467
  • February 26, 2016
  • Curatorial Assistant
  • Aspen Art Museum
  • Administrative/Clerical/Support
  • Advertising / Marketing
  • Full-Time
  • Indefinite
  • BA/BS/Undergraduate
  • 1-2 Years
  • None