This unit is the ‘engage’. It introduces the student to the concept of the ‘infectious agent’, and to the idea of contagion. It shows how the unpredictability of an infectious disease can wreak havoc in a society, and leads them to the question – what do we need to know to predict the impact of infectious disease?
- 1.1: Pandemic Flu, did we overreact?
- 1.2: How infectious disease has molded history – including ours
- 1.3: What is an infectious agent? (1) What bacteria need to make us sick
- 1.4: What is an infectious agent? (2) What viruses do to make us sick
- 1.5: So why aren’t we always sick? Our body’s defenses
- Assessment opportunity: Unit 1 Quiz