How does an infection lead to symptoms and illness? The students will explore the mechanisms of host cell damage by microbes. This unit emphasizes how pathogens lead to impairment of host systems via disrupting structure and function.
- 4.1: Why do we feel sick – how pathogens cause direct and indirect damage
- 4.2: Toxins – Botox, tetanus, hamburger disease and MRSA
- 4.3: How do bacteria adapt to become pathogens? the adaptation auction
- 4.4: How do viruses make us sick – viral replication
- 4.5: How do viruses adapt? antigenic shift and drift and the flu pandemic
- 4.6: Designing an antiviral drug – the challenge of HIV
- 4.7: Putting together the strategies pathogens use – what kind are you?
- Assessment opportunity: Units 3-4 Quiz