The Hirsh Library has begun a trial subscription to the Cochrane Library. A collection of databases from Wiley-Blackwell publishing, Cochrane Library contains different types of independent evidence to assist in healthcare decision-making.
The Cochrane Library includes:
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- Cochrane Methodology Register
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects
- Health Technology Assessment Database
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database
It’s updated throughout the month with new and updated reviews and protocols which are published as soon as they are ready. The trial is ongoing until 7/31/13.
Come and get ‘em! We have a full book truck of books we’re looking to giveaway. Stop by the Library Service Desk around 10am to check out what we’ve got.
“Planning Educational Outreach with Future Researchers” poster by Katie Houk, MLS
Congratulations to Research and Information Services Librarian, Katie Houk, and past employees Melissa Theroux and Tiffany Tawzer on their poster presentations this past Sunday at the National Medical Library Association Meeting in Boston. Their posters focused on planning outreach and instruction for future researchers on the Boston campus and improving the HHSL reserve collection. Great job ladies!
Melissa Theroux, MLIS, and Tiffany Tawzer, MLIS present their poster on improving the HHSL reserves collection
Did you know BioMed Central has developed a way to use semantic technology to help researchers select which BMC journals to publish manuscripts in? This open access journal selector lets you enter your abstract or a description of your manuscript, and then works its magic by searching over 350 open access journals in BioMed Central, SpringerOpen, and Chemistry Central. There’s also a option for you to limit to journals with impact factors. For more information and to try it out visit BMC’s journal selector page. And as always… let us know what you think!!
We’re happy to announce that Eli Zoller has accepted a Fellowship in Systems Librarianship at the University of Texas Arlington! In the new position Eli will be responsible for technical leadership and innovative digital initiatives.
Congrats Eli! We’re going to miss you!
Directory of Open Access Journals is one of the leading databases for you to find open access journal articles, and for those of you who already use DOAJ to find articles you most likely noticed it transitioned to a more search friendly interface.
DOAJ’s moved from their basic keyword search to be more robust, allowing users to find articles narrow and limit their searches. There is also the ability to search for publishers who have journals with a certain copyright license. So if you’re grant requires you to publish in a CC-BY journal, then DOAJ could help you out! And as also, if you can’t find what you are looking for get in contact with the library. We’re here to help you find what you need!
The Tufts Libraries will be migrating to a new web server on the morning of Sunday, April 29th. While we do not expect any problems to arise during the migration, there may be minor disruptions in HHSL web site access. This migration will not affect the look and feel of the HHSL web site.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.
HHSL’s Associate Direct, Debra Berlanstein, was recently highlighted in TuftsNow for her involvement in a systematic review to find out if it is safe to exercise while undergoing cancer treatment. Checkout the article to find out more about the study!
If you need assistance with your own systematic review, setup an appointment with a librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Library Service Desk on Sackler 4!
Thinking about undertaking a systematic review or wondering what they are?
Then check out our new research guide!
It provides an introduction to the requirements, search strategies and resources needed to conduct the literature review portion of a systematic review.
The guide contains links to major guidelines, provides information for formulating good searchable questions, tips & tricks for searching databases and extensive lists of databases and resources for your searching pleasure. We’d love for you to take some time and discover what the guide has to offer. Please contact us with suggestions and feedback!
You can also find it linked from the portals and on the Research Guides page under “Services” on the Library homepage.
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Ask Leo Episode Three | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/UUv7jnOmEp 09:03:32 AM August 26, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatGeo: What caused California's Napa Valley earthquake? http://t.co/vbg26OO17Z 10:25:58 AM August 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprnews: Book News: First Superman Comic Soars To $3.2 Million At Auction http://t.co/gGhzwIiyX6 10:21:05 AM August 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Welcome to our D18s, who are starting their orientation today! Can't wait to show you everything Tufts has to offer. 10:16:53 AM August 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @USDANutrition: Being 'choosy' about eating is a common behavior for preschoolers. For tips and more information http://t.co/MwjoKeiXIj … 11:09:54 AM August 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The 5th floor color printer is out of order this weekend. Please release color jobs to the 4th floor. We're sorry for the inconvenience. 10:12:56 AM August 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook