Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and what better way way to celebrate than to read up on the greatest of drugs – love? Once thought to be ruled by the heart, much research has been done to show that the brain is truly responsible for seeking, attaining and keeping an object of desire.
Perhaps Cupid’s real name is Dr. Helen Fisher, a researcher at Rutgers University and author of two books on the brain science behind attraction and love.
Two online summaries of her research can be found here:
Or, if you are a fan of TED Talks, here’s her 2008 presentation:
The Tufts Libraries also hold a handful of books on the topic. Remember, requests from Tisch Library are free and can be made directly through the catalog. Call or stop by the desk if you need help!
- Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Speaking of the “love drug,” stop by the 4th floor desk for some chocolate tomorrow! Chocolate contains caffeine (which increases the output of feel-good serotonin) and phenethylamine (which triggers the release of endorphins).
So, if you aren’t in love, you can at least fake it with some chocolate, and if you are in love… keep riding the high!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @BtfdLibrary: Grab your #cowbell and get ready to #FollowALibrary on September 30! https://t.co/krL8wryUsI 01:19:06 PM September 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Check out our October Open Workshops! | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/CNNQNxIYdi 12:41:23 PM September 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @bmj_latest: New article series accelerates evidence into practice...Introducing Rapid Recommendations! https://t.co/OBxBNZJiTw https://… 09:22:19 AM September 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your daily dose of interesting malaria news! https://t.co/JU3gWrQ2fL 09:18:25 AM September 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My favorite creature (and maybe yours?)- Tardigrades Have the Right Stuff to Resist Radiation https://t.co/33nBUlLOmb 12:55:41 PM September 28, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ants Pick Morphine Over Sugar https://t.co/fFLYgsKLwF 12:54:31 PM September 28, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook