The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @dcatufts: On this day 1983 in Tufts History, the Sackler Center for Health Communications broke ground. http://t.co/uksOLpMaI0 http://t… about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsTechnology: TUFTS DAILY: TTS Plans Updates to SIS Class Search - benefits students and faculty! http://t.co/wlpsijkEaz about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BosComFrogPond: Retweet if you're ready to hit the ice this weekend at #FrogPond! http://t.co/KztkGrNIUR about 23 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Thank you for sharing @lisagualtieri! 10:52:20 AM November 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to lisagualtieri ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Thanksgiving Hours | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/YayyVF0t3n 10:46:24 AM November 20, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @lisagualtieri: Presenting about Ebola and Social Media at next session @TuftsMedSchool #globalpublichealth14 http://t.co/AWyrBPbtVi 10:41:27 AM November 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook