The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Leo library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @statnews: A cure for the common cold and 4 other medical predictions that haven’t (yet) come true https://t.co/QNllmFRory https://t.co/… about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: The Green Labs Initiative at Tufts identifies resource-saving opportunities in labs and clinics across campus. https://t.co… about 10 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Sales Fall Again in Mexico’s Second Year of Taxing Soda https://t.co/2tIqjctHXZ via @UpshotNYT about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ncats_nih_gov: #RareDisease Day at NIH 2017 will be streaming live today via webcast! Tune in: https://t.co/wgHb5wtd5f #RDDNIH https:/… about 15 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: How do people at different points of #FoodProduction make decisions? @friedmansprout students go behind the scenes: htt… 02:02:48 PM February 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Come and make a Mardi Gras mask! https://t.co/RV2C0rupaw 12:16:48 PM February 24, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook