The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright data databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @JanHoffmanNYT: How dogs learned to make us feel so happy. It's hormonal! A love story by researchers.http://t.co/pMZJ3odhZX 03:15:21 PM April 17, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Today's the day! Unveiling of our new #Jumbo statue at 4pm on the Academic Quad! 01:05:07 PM April 17, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Study break! Check out these adorable penguins and other live animal cams from @exploreorg http://t.co/DM0bufiDeR 03:07:03 PM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Have an internship in Boston this summer? Stay at Tufts! Gym and parking included! Choose from 4 types of rooms: http:… 02:26:35 PM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Congratulations to our DIS17 class, who are receiving their white coats today! 11:04:54 AM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Patriot’s Day Monday, April 20th: Library is open from 12pm- 7pm | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/abkdAFUkfp http://t.co/4MQNVd3pMX 10:18:38 AM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook