The National Museum of Wildlife Art (NMWA) seeks an experienced museum professional as full-time Chief Curator. The successful individual will join a strong accredited Museum that has grown and engaged audiences from across the country with its specialized art collection and programming. Candidates must have a proven record and experience in developing and managing a museum art collection; setting strategies for collection development and interpretation; installing and managing permanent collection galleries; developing changing exhibitions both internally and with external partners; researching original scholarship; cultivating patrons to donate art, coupled with fundraising for exhibitions and acquisitions; managing staff and budgets; and, capable of working collaboratively in a dynamic environment with the ability to make a significant difference to a Museum of exceptional quality with a vision of a growing national presence.
The Chief Curator is a member of the senior management team of the Museum, and is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing all aspects of collections, exhibitions, and educational programs. This individual will:
- Work directly with and report to the President and Chief Executive Officer to implement the Museum’s strategic plans with specific responsibilities for collection research and curatorial interpretation and display, and to promote the artistic and educational mission of the NMWA
- Oversee and develop collection and acquisition strategies
- Manage the care, display, and promotion of the permanent collection
- Oversee timely gallery rotations and the development of future innovative and creative exhibitions, public programs, and publication activities so as to educate the general public and visitors
- Manage staff and resources for select curatorial and educational initiatives, with overall responsibility for the curatorial, education, registrar, publications, and library departments
- Review and revise research priorities and protocols with regard to the permanent collection
- Develop long-range plans and oversee implementation of a changing exhibition program to engage audiences in innovative ways
- Review and revise interpretation protocols and activities, including gallery didactics, touring tools, and print publications
- Contribute to the electronic dissemination and cataloging efforts of the department, inputting data into the collections management database (TMS), and contribute to the curatorial presence on the Museum’s website
- Collaborate with the advancement department to engage donors, sponsors, and foundations in support of seeking additional funding, grants, and donations of art to enhance the permanent collection and the exhibition program
The NMWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants for positions at the National Museum of Wildlife Art are considered without regard to race, creed, color, country of origin, sex, age, citizenship, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- Terminal degree (M.A. or M.F.A.) in a relevant field such as art history, American Studies, or design; PhD preferred
- Expertise in a field that is the core strength of the NMWA collection, such as art of the American West, art depicting animals or nature, or scientific illustration
- Minimum of five years museum administration experience coupled with a minimum of five years of applied experience curating internal and loan exhibitions of varying sizes and types, and overseeing gallery rotations and renovations
- Commitment to the social history of art and awareness of new trends emerging today
- Demonstrated record of significant, academically rigorous and compelling exhibitions and publications
- Proven experience with patron cultivation along with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of museum budgets and fundraising needs, including grants
- Excellent working relationships with collectors, artists, gallerists, and scholars
- Enthusiasm for all areas of visual art education
- Working familiarity and comfort with museum technology related to database management, presentations, and social media.