DIGITAL DATABASE COORDINATOR
Basic Function of the position:
The digital database coordinator will, as a full-time, on-site staff member, assist in effectively creating and managing the digitization of historical and genealogical content for NEHGS websites. Additionally, this position will ensure that SQL – Elasticsearch based digital collections are stable, well-designed, effective, up-to-date and properly maintained. The position has a strong customer interaction aspect, as it entails responding to customer inquiries and concerns in a timely and friendly manner. The digital database coordinator will also have a strong supporting role in defining and fine-tuning the search user experience for optimal ease of comprehension and ease of use.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use SQL Server Management Studio to create queries, reports, and make database modifications and corrections.
- Assist with multiple digital database and OCR/?Imaging projects, tracking timeliness of projects and ensuring that all phases of the project and life cycle are met.
- Respond to customer correspondence regarding database updates and corrections.
- Help define an optimal search experience for AmericanAncestors.org website users; document and communicate search functionality requirements for off-site developers.
- Assist in the planning, organizing and managing of the digital databases and OCR/Imaging projects, including interaction with staff, and volunteers.
- Create and deliver live and recorded presentations on search and other website functionality to internal staff and NEHGS members.
Education level for the position:
Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in Library Science, Computer Science, History or related area or equivalent work experience
- Experience with and interest in SQL Server and the SQL Server Management Studio
- Experience with Excel
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Ability to stay focused on complex projects, while retaining a high degree of attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical staff and end-users; excellent customer service skills
- Not intimidated by technology or the prospect of learning new and evolving technology such as cUrl, Python, and xml.
- Expertise in troubleshooting and solving data-related inconsistencies
- Ability to work independently, as well as teaming with other website and IT staff members and vendors
- Preferred skills/must demonstrate a strong interest in:
- Genealogy and/or historical data
- Searching genealogical websites
- Digital image processing concepts and tools
- Content management system experience (WordPress and/or Drupal)
- Photoshop or other image editing tools
- Knowledge of Excel, including familiarity with the MS Office object model and creation of VBA macros
- Software or website functionality testing
- Any experience with search engine applications such as Elastic Search
Please send resume to Michelle Major, Human Resources Coordinator- firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
May 09, 2016