“A blank wall of social and professional antagonism.” Elizabeth Blackwell
Elizabeth Blackwell (b.1821 – d.1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States.
“I had not the slightest idea of the commotion created by my appearance as a medical student in the little town. Very slowly I perceived that a doctor’s wife at the table avoided any communication with me, and that as I walked backwards and forwards to college the ladies stopped to stare at me, as at a curious animal. I afterwards found that I had so shocked Geneva [New York] propriety that the theory was fully established either that I was a bad woman, whose designs would gradually become evident, or that, being insane, an outbreak of insanity would soon be apparent.”
In her own words: celebrating women in medicine
“If society will not admit of woman’s free development, then society must be remodeled.”
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States
And remodel society they did! Throughout March, HHSL will be honoring 2013 Women’s History Month by presenting remarkable women in medicine according to their own words. We hope you find this series of posts illuminating and that you take a minute or two to learn more about their legacy.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @theNCI: Today! NIH celebrates #RareDiseaseDay2015. Details: http://t.co/36jyVtCww2 Watch live: http://t.co/vp7uLaOpL5 @NIH http://t.co… 08:30:15 AM February 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ProQuest: Upcoming maintenance window: Mar 1, 2015, 2 AM UTC for 5 hours. Access to ProQuest products will not be available http://t.co… 08:26:11 AM February 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New DynaMed Mobile Instructions | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/FmxXnuWDeN http://t.co/8h97dGRY2D 10:05:50 AM February 26, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Food and nutrition in numbers 2014 http://t.co/AIDO2DPXe0 02:20:19 PM February 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: The truth about cracking your neck http://t.co/2FIWj6NhmL 11:30:19 AM February 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @medlineplus: Wondering where you can get more information about rare diseases? Join the #NIHchat tomorrow, 2/25 at 2:30 ET 01:47:46 PM February 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook