“A blank wall of social and professional antagonism.” Elizabeth Blackwell
Elizabeth Blackwell (b.1821 – d.1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States.
“I had not the slightest idea of the commotion created by my appearance as a medical student in the little town. Very slowly I perceived that a doctor’s wife at the table avoided any communication with me, and that as I walked backwards and forwards to college the ladies stopped to stare at me, as at a curious animal. I afterwards found that I had so shocked Geneva [New York] propriety that the theory was fully established either that I was a bad woman, whose designs would gradually become evident, or that, being insane, an outbreak of insanity would soon be apparent.”
In her own words: celebrating women in medicine
“If society will not admit of woman’s free development, then society must be remodeled.”
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States
And remodel society they did! Throughout March, HHSL will be honoring 2013 Women’s History Month by presenting remarkable women in medicine according to their own words. We hope you find this series of posts illuminating and that you take a minute or two to learn more about their legacy.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Your Contribution to the California Drought http://t.co/qz0ORcK7Mm 03:28:31 PM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Photos, speeches, videos and more. Check out the #Tufts2015 commencement recap: http://t.co/7luBTsxAcV 01:59:10 PM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Why is it so difficult to eat less? Researchers at @TuftsUniversity are looking into the dopamine reward system: http:/… 01:58:48 PM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MassDental: Flossie the therapy dog takes the bite out of dental visits http://t.co/gWfKmjDHB6 10:32:14 AM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Please join us in welcoming Laura Pavlech, our new Research and Instruction Librarian! http://t.co/VVoOfJjifH http://t.co/AgdwcxCInP 10:15:21 AM May 22, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Memorial Day Hours http://t.co/eMPK8M9S0n http://t.co/G5kt2UiNUV 10:10:17 AM May 21, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook