“A blank wall of social and professional antagonism.” Elizabeth Blackwell
Elizabeth Blackwell (b.1821 – d.1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States.
“I had not the slightest idea of the commotion created by my appearance as a medical student in the little town. Very slowly I perceived that a doctor’s wife at the table avoided any communication with me, and that as I walked backwards and forwards to college the ladies stopped to stare at me, as at a curious animal. I afterwards found that I had so shocked Geneva [New York] propriety that the theory was fully established either that I was a bad woman, whose designs would gradually become evident, or that, being insane, an outbreak of insanity would soon be apparent.”
In her own words: celebrating women in medicine
“If society will not admit of woman’s free development, then society must be remodeled.”
– Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States
And remodel society they did! Throughout March, HHSL will be honoring 2013 Women’s History Month by presenting remarkable women in medicine according to their own words. We hope you find this series of posts illuminating and that you take a minute or two to learn more about their legacy.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Quick Summer Treats! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/ybz9ioN2mX 10:02:08 AM July 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Tufts Prof Sam Sommers talks sports and psychology on @SInow's "Your Brain on Sports" podcast https://t.co/eDB6bRxeca 02:28:00 PM July 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Congrats to @TuftsDental prof Daniel Green who is receiving the American Assoc of Endodontists' 2016 IB Bender Lifetime Educator Award! 11:46:24 AM July 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Independence Day Weekend | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/IjOdnaR2aJ http://t.co/E6Tkv84jKU 11:32:15 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: If this Tuesday feels like the longest Tuesday since 1992, that's because it is. #leapsecond http://t.co/fSVY3J2Cji http:… 09:54:12 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Sugary drinks linked to 180,000 deaths a year, Tufts study says: http://t.co/G9rEwhRhP9 09:23:21 AM June 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook