This month, our Under10 Spotlight is Chacarero, a popular lunch spot on the edge of the Financial District. The walk is a straight(ish) shot from campus down Harrison and Chauncy to 101 Arch Street—about 8 minutes, give or take.
Chacarero’s signature item is…the chacarero, a classic Chilean sandwich. My favorite part is the bread, which is baked fresh daily. It’s round, sort of flat, and manages to both dense and light at the same time. For the main ingredient, you have a choice of plain or bbq grilled beef or chicken (or both), or grilled vegetables. It’s topped with tomatoes, muenster cheese, avocado spread, green beans, and their secret hot sauce. You can also add a super spicy hot sauce that I wasn’t brave enough to try, but hear is very good.
A small sandwich ($6.35-$8.95) is the perfect size for lunch, but they also make a large size ($7.45-$10.00). They offer assorted sides, desserts, and beverages, as well as a number of breakfast items.
The lunch rush is tackled with an impressive display of assembly-line sandwich making. The line was out the door when I arrived at 12:45pm, but it took only five minutes to get up to the cashier, where I ordered and paid. I was outside with my meal in less than four minutes after that. Other times when I’ve gone later in the afternoon, there’s been no wait, so I’d recommend going closer to 2pm if you’re short on time.
There’s a decent amount of seating in the air-conditioned restaurant but one of my favorite spots to eat in the area is not far away. If you have time, continue on Arch St and take a right down Franklin St for about two blocks to Post Office Square. You can enjoy your sandwich on the lawn in the park—be sure to grab a free cushion from one of the bins to protect your clothes from the grass!
Chacarero. 101 Arch St, Boston, MA. Mon-Fri 8am-6pm. They accept cash, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Have you braved the super spicy sauce at Chacarero? Do you have a suggestion for the next place we should try? Write to us!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- We have extended hours in the library! The service desk is open until 10pm and you may stay and study until 2am! Good luck with exams! about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @adeaweb: .@TuftsDental alum and her father, both #dentists, make house calls to provide for seniors and the disabled. http://t.co/PcvM0… 12:41:47 PM May 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Join the @TuftsUniversity team for the @MCBikeChallenge and don't forget to ride smart http://t.co/2zzzLsfGwH #MCBC2015 11:12:12 AM May 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: . @ChildObesity180 at Tufts researches healthy children's menu items: http://t.co/FTeK2cJaao via @Reuters 09:27:29 AM May 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's 3 and that means TEA! Join us on Sackler 4 for our PiTEA party. There will be snacks... 03:00:03 PM April 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: There are few group projects in med school, strange when you consider that there are few solo practitioners. http://t.co/zSs… 01:50:54 PM April 30, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook