This month, our Under10 Spotlight is Chacarero, a popular lunch spot on the edge of the Financial District. The walk is a straight(ish) shot from campus down Harrison and Chauncy to 101 Arch Street—about 8 minutes, give or take.
Chacarero’s signature item is…the chacarero, a classic Chilean sandwich. My favorite part is the bread, which is baked fresh daily. It’s round, sort of flat, and manages to both dense and light at the same time. For the main ingredient, you have a choice of plain or bbq grilled beef or chicken (or both), or grilled vegetables. It’s topped with tomatoes, muenster cheese, avocado spread, green beans, and their secret hot sauce. You can also add a super spicy hot sauce that I wasn’t brave enough to try, but hear is very good.
A small sandwich ($6.35-$8.95) is the perfect size for lunch, but they also make a large size ($7.45-$10.00). They offer assorted sides, desserts, and beverages, as well as a number of breakfast items.
The lunch rush is tackled with an impressive display of assembly-line sandwich making. The line was out the door when I arrived at 12:45pm, but it took only five minutes to get up to the cashier, where I ordered and paid. I was outside with my meal in less than four minutes after that. Other times when I’ve gone later in the afternoon, there’s been no wait, so I’d recommend going closer to 2pm if you’re short on time.
There’s a decent amount of seating in the air-conditioned restaurant but one of my favorite spots to eat in the area is not far away. If you have time, continue on Arch St and take a right down Franklin St for about two blocks to Post Office Square. You can enjoy your sandwich on the lawn in the park—be sure to grab a free cushion from one of the bins to protect your clothes from the grass!
Chacarero. 101 Arch St, Boston, MA. Mon-Fri 8am-6pm. They accept cash, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Have you braved the super spicy sauce at Chacarero? Do you have a suggestion for the next place we should try? Write to us!
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Daily Dose of mind-numbing cuteness: Marmosets Find Videos Educational. http://t.co/L6ISF89XSe about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: A Doctor Unlocks Mysteries of the Brain By Talking And Watching http://t.co/1rc5a15ZoG about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: What do humans and animals have in common? See how @tuftsvet & @TuftsMedicalCtr are working together on #OneHealth: http://t… 02:40:37 PM September 26, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- TBBC Event: Info Session on Tufts IDEAS Competition on Mon Sept 29 at 12 in Dental School Room 14-14. http://t.co/7ifkag0VHW 09:39:42 AM September 26, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New Year, New Service Model: Librarians On Call | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/DBQAYDBwpJ 12:21:45 PM September 25, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsStdntServ: Want one of these? Follow, tweet or retweet to win! Come see us at the campus center Today from 11-1 to learn more. htt… 10:53:15 AM September 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook