Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff technology TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsOPD: Attend @tuftsctsi's "Junior Faculty Forum" if you have interest in applying for K (or other career dev.) awards. http://t.co/… about 45 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Uh oh...Facebook is down! Did you know #HHSL has a Facebook page with more news & updates? Take a sec to like us when fb is working again! about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- IOM Wants Big Change in Doc Training http://t.co/5j9wpf367m about 2 hours ago from Twitter for Websites ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WHO: Dr Margaret Chan's speech on #Ebola today in #Guinea http://t.co/NGLWwjtdZB about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @AmerDentalAssn: Traveling Massachusetts Dentist Treats Children Suffering from Severe Cavities http://t.co/lPG6ovGLFd about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Good lunch read by @WIRED "Yum, mold and proteobacteria! Scientists discovered a world of microbes on cheese rinds" http://t.co/twTVzMckHP about 23 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook