Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Goldfish Owner Invents A Cork "Wheelchair" To Help The Sick Fish Swim Properly - My Modern Met http://t.co/2kZVbe4DZ3 about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- White House Meeting Elicits Pledges to Reduce Antibiotic Use http://t.co/sFCOeasqdZ about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTScience: Planet of the apes (that cook) http://t.co/bqUc2iTJ8J http://t.co/5HAPMbIbwc about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @lisagualtieri: #ShowYourWrist Sandy, who's in her 70's, on her #misfitshine #QS http://t.co/BBKW9dsO9e via @Wellocracy @jkvedar http://… about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTScience: As he held the animal-hide pages of an ancient book, something seemed oddly familiar http://t.co/27bf4RFQhm http://t.co/jAU… 12:48:14 PM June 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @theNCI: New on NCI's Cancer Currents blog: Most Americans Do Not Use Sunscreen Regularly http://t.co/9l4QYnkD8s http://t.co/Gqw1PqRVPX 12:41:51 PM June 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook