Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration ClinicalKey Clinical Key congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources facebook feedback graduation HHSL hhsl event holidays homepage hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school medicine new resource open access open workshop portals president's day recipes resources social media staff technology TUSM twitter website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsOPD: New funding opportunities as of April 2nd! #NIH @NIHFunding | http://t.co/UrZPN97Lps about 12 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: Are you entering the @TuftsCTSI #PosterCompetition? Time is running out! Submit your abstract online by noon Friday: http://… about 12 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Follow @TuftsLive for live updates from today's #MurrowForum with @ariannahuff. Starts at noon! about 13 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedSchool: Act Like a #Doctor, Think Like a #Patient. Prof. Alan Rockoff discusses patient-focused #medicine: http://t.co/lqMcmU05… about 13 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NSF: MT @STEMsolutions: 1 week til largest celebration of #STEM in our nation, @USAScienceFest! We'll be there! http://t.co/Z0A3OU3IMf about 13 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsCareer: Come to the Ask for Evidence workshop- @ the Cambridge Science Festival. Wed, April 23, 5.30PM, Emerson College http://t.c… about 15 hours ago from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook