Customize Your Curriculum

One of the most salient features of a Fletcher education is precisely the fact that it is not a single education, but rather allows for infinite customization, through our 170+ annual course offeringsfields of studyexchange programs, and cross registration. Each student may decide on a different academic trajectory to suit his or her own professional and academic goals.

To get a better sense of how these individual curricular decisions can play out, we have invited a small group of students in their final semester to talk about their goals, their classes, and the decisions made during their Fletcher career. We invite you to learn more about them by clicking below. Each student is listed with their degree program and intended post-Fletcher career field.

Also, check out the course listings and class schedules for the 2022-2023 academic year.

ALEJANDRA, MALD – STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS FOR SOCIAL IMPACT

ALEJANDRA, MALD
MEXICO

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Deputy Director Industry Research at ProMexico, Mexican Agency for Trade and Investment Promotion
Head of the Research and Evaluation Department, Promexico

Fields of Study
International Business Relations
Development Economics

Capstone Topic
A case study on marketing for non-profits

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals 
I am interested in a career in the communications field. My interests lie in areas related to marketing strategies, strategic communications and advocacy. I plan to work in organizations/projects that would allow me to combine my interests in communications, strategy, and development by providing strategic communications advice to advance causes with social impact.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One 

• Corporate Finance
  • International Finance
  • Econometrics
  • Development Economics: Policy Analysis

During my first semester I wanted to acquire a set of basic tools that would better prepare me for future courses while fulfilling some of my requirements. I wanted to get practical skills that would allow me to better market myself in the labor market. I particularly liked Professor Jenny Aker, who taught Econometrics, a great and engaging teacher.

Semester Two

• Culture and development
  • Marketing for nonprofits
  • International Organizations
  • International Financial Management

During this semester I wanted to really explore and enjoy the interdisciplinary approach of the Fletcher curriculum. My first semester was interesting but was very similar to what I had done in the past (as an Economics major undergrad). The course on Marketing for Non-profitsreally influenced my choices for both my internship and subsequent courses. Try Professor Natalie Laidler-Kylander (one of the best!) and try something different from what you have done in the past (you might discover new career paths). 

Summer Internship

Communications strategist at The Mae Fah Luang Foundation in Thailand

Semester Three

• Intellectual Property Law
  • Macroeconomic Policy Analysis
  • Media, Politics and Power in the Digital Age (Harvard Kennedy School)
  • The Informal Economy (Harvard Kennedy School)

This semester was an opportunity to further explore my interest in communications. I took a course at HKS on Media in the Digital Age that reinforced my interest in communications. It was also a great complement with my course on Intellectual Property Law, which allowed me to explore some of the legal challenges that arise in the digital age. The course on Macroeconomic Policy Analysis with Professor Klein is a must: a very practical course focusing on quantitative analysis and policy memo briefing.  

Semester 4

• Strategy and Innovation in the Evolving Context of International Business
  • Foreign Relations of the US since 1917
  • The Making of a Politician (Harvard Kennedy School)
  • Regional Economic Development (Harvard Graduate School of Design)

During my last semester I completed my breadth requirements and took a course at HKS on communications and politics. The course focuses on leadership, media training, and public speaking -  really valuable skills for any professional.  I also deeply enjoyed the course on Strategy with Dean Chakravorti, a really knowledgeable, engaging and inspiring professor. 

ANDRE, MIB – BUSINESS FOR SOCIAL IMPACT

ANDRE, MIB

USA/BRAZIL

Pre-Fletcher Experience

I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Miami, Fl. While there, I studied international relations and political science. Following, I served in the Peace Corps in Namibia where I worked as a high school teacher and designed and led projects in the WASH sector.

Fields of Study

Business for Social Impact

Human Security

Capstone Topic

Examining the potential of small-scale independent water providers Maputo, Mozambique

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

Working in project design, management, and implementation within the international development sphere. Potential areas of focus are water security and education. I am also interested in the potential of market approaches to development to create longer lasting impact as well as partnerships across the public, private, and NGO spheres.

Curriculum Overview

Semester One

• Political Economy of Development
  • Political Economy of Latin America
  • Statistical Methods for Business
  • Marketing Management

As a Januarian MIB you begin your required courses in reverse order from the September cohort. My Semester 1 courses were what most first-year students take in their second semester. It was helpful to take courses with the second semester MIB’s as I was able to get to know them and learn from their experiences at Fletcher. You will spot the start of a pattern that I took of taking business related courses but also having a heavy focus on international development courses. I was lucky to have Professor Krohn for both Political Economy of Latin America and Macroeconomics. Very knowledgeable professor who had a passion for his subjects and his students.   

Summer Internship

Good Governance Programs Intern at Mercy Corps, Washington D.C

Semester Two

• Foundations of Financial Accounting and Corporate Finance
  • Financial Statement Management
  • Strategic Management (Pre-Session)
  • Microeconomics
  • Getting Things Done: Management in a Development Context (cross-registered at Harvard Kennedy School)

This was my heaviest business-focused semester and I learned a lot. Courses such as Corporate Finance were why I chose to be an MIB, and gave me the business literacy that I felt that I had been lacking prior to Fletcher. Strategic Management was also helpful to puzzle out how businesses (and organizations in general) think and should think about their futures. I really enjoyed Professor Tanaka’s Microeconomics class, which served as a good stepping stone for skills I would use in future courses (such as Development Economics).

Semester Three

• Gender and Human Security in Transitional States
  • Engaging Human Security
  • Corporate Social Responsibility
  • International Financial and Fiscal Law

The second half of my academic career at Fletcher saw me leaning more towards development focused classes. This semester was interesting as several of my courses were in the cross section of how business can provide positive social outcomes. My CSR and Cross Sector Partnerships classes were very helpful to spark my thinking regarding the private sector’s role in helping people and society. International Financial and Fiscal Law was a challenge as it was my first ever law course, but Professor Trachtman was clear in his teaching and helped us learn a lot. My pure development focused courses were Gender and Human Security in Transitional States and Engaging Human Security. Both were taught by excellent professors, but beware, prepare yourself for a healthy amount of reading! The Gender class in particular was very interesting, it was my first ever class with gender as a main topic. I do not mean to overstate it but it was a class that helped me see the world in a different light and understand how virtually everything has a gender component and an underlying power dynamic that must be examined.

Summer Internship

Programs Intern at Family Reach, Boston, Massachusetts

Semester 4

• Processes of International Negotiation
  • Gender, Culture, and Conflict in Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
  • Market Approaches to Development
  • Independent Study (Capstone project)

As I am writing, I am still in the middle of this final semester. It has been my favorite semester academically thus far. I am enjoying and learning a lot from every class. Market Approaches to Development with Professor Wilson and Processes of International Negotiation with Professors McClintock and Khuri have both been excellent. Professor Schaffner's Development Economics has also been a great course. All Fletcher professors have been very prepared but Professor Schaffner takes it to another level. Before the semester, I debated whether I wanted to take a .5 credit course or do independent study. Once the semester started I realized how busy my last semester was going to be with my capstone and job search and all my other responsibilities, so I was glad that I could fall back on the Independent Study to work on my capstone and have that ‘pocket of air’ for the final push to graduation.

BERNARDO, MALD – US FOREIGN SERVICE

BERNARDO, MALD
UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Human Resources Business Partner, Target Corporation, Minneapolis, MN
Group Leader, Target Regional Distribution Center, Fridley, MN
Logistics Analyst, Target Corporation, Minneapolis, MN

Fields of Study
International Organizations
United States

Capstone Topic
U.S. Diplomatic Engagement with Non-state Armed Groups

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
After Fletcher, I will be joining the U.S. Foreign Service as a Foreign Service Officer.  Although I do not know my official assignment yet, I will spend the summer after graduation interning at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Diplomacy: History, Theory, and Practice
  • U.S. Public Diplomacy
  • The Foreign Relations of the United States to 1917
  • Analytic Frameworks for International Public Policy Decisions

Prior to starting my first semester, I was very methodical in proactively mapping out my two-year academic plan.  I had selected my two fields of study and wanted to knock out the breadth and depth requirements my first year.  Since my undergraduate degree was in Business and I had worked in the private sector for four years, I wanted to primarily take courses within the Diplomacy, History, and Politics division.  Also, since I knew I’d be joining the U.S. Foreign Service after graduation, I began to take courses relevant to U.S. foreign policy and the practice of diplomacy.  This semester was a nice balance of intertwining the theory and practice of diplomacy.

Semester Two

• The Foreign Relations of the United States since 1917
  • Democracy and State Reform in Latin America
  • Introduction to Economic Theory
  • International Organizations

Building off my first semester, I decided to take the second part of the Foreign Relations of the United States with Professor Henrikson.  I, however, also wanted to revisit my passion for Latin America, so I decided to take Professor Burgess’ class.  I also decided it be wise to fulfill my quantitative analysis requirement, while taking my course requirement for International Law and Organizations.  Professor Johnstone’s International Organizations course was very enlightening in understanding the complex world of multilateral organizations.

Summer Internship 
U.S. Department of State, The Operations Center’s Office of Crisis Management Support

At the Department of State, I interned in the Office of Crisis Management Support.  I monitored potential and emerging crises as lead crisis management officer responsible for regional portfolio of South and Central Asian Affairs (SCA) and backup officer for Near Eastern Affairs (NEA).  I identified specific incidents and threats that could potentially affect private U.S. citizens, official U.S. personnel and facilities, and/or other key U.S. interests in assigned regions.

Semester Three

• International Negotiation
  • Foundations of Policy Analysis
  • Evolution of Strategy
  • Islam and Politics

My summer internship was very influential in my course selection for my final year.  Over the summer, I had to write numerous briefs and memos.  As a result, I began to take courses that would further hone my writing skills, while also helping me formulate frameworks for policy analysis and strategy development.  I also wanted to expand my horizons by better understanding the intersection of Islam and politics.  Finally, for each of my classes I began to think about how each of my papers could contribute to my thesis topic.

Semester Four

• International Mediation
  • Leadership in Public and Private Sector Organizations
  • Decision Making and Public Policy
  • Management of Crises Response (Harvard Kennedy School)

Since I thoroughly enjoyed my International Negotiation class, I decided I wanted to further explore this discipline by taking International Mediation with Professor Babbitt.   As an aspiring policymaker, I continued to take Professor Martel’s courses: one on leadership and the other one on decision-making.  Finally, I decided to cross register at the Kennedy School.  Although the course is focused on the management of domestic crises, I know I can apply these lessons to international crises as well.

HANNAH, MALD – BUSINESS MODELS SERVING THE POOR

HANNAH, MALD
UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience 

• Several years designing, managing and evaluating international development programs
  • Experienced in business and program strategy
  • Gender integration specialist
  • Interested in social entrepreneurship, impact investing, and private-sector innovation for underserved markets

Fields of Study
International Business
Development Economics

Capstone Topic
Diffusion of Innovations at the Base of the Pyramid: The case of mobile money in Kenya and India

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals 
I’m interested in working with companies that are developing new products and services that can help improve the lives of the poor in developing countries.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Corporate Finance
  • Entrepreneurial Marketing
  • Econometrics
  • Law and Development

In my first semester at Fletcher, I dove into the foundational quantitative skills that would serve me well throughout the rest of my coursework. Taking econometrics and corporate finance at the same time was tough, but a great way to kick-start my Fletcher education. Professor Kylander’s entrepreneurial marketing was stimulating and applied, and gave me a chance to be creative with other students. The semester was challenging and well rounded.

Semester Two

• Culture, Human Values, and Development
  • Field Studies in Global Consulting
  • Microfinance and Inclusive Commerce
  • System Dynamics (MIT Sloan)

My second semester combined many of the topics I came to Fletcher to study: business strategy, new approaches to economic development, cultural elements of development, and applied analytical and communication methods. Some of the overlap allowed me to delve in-depth into new topics such as financial inclusion and mobile money. A highlight of the semester was my project for Field Studies in Global Consulting. I traveled to Tanzania with my team to research the electronic payments landscape, and made recommendations to the company’s Vice Chair on the role MasterCard could play in financial inclusion. 

Summer Internship
I worked as a fellow at Start Up India in New Delhi, where I conducted research and informed business strategy for start-up social enterprises in the healthcare and financial services sectors.

Semester Three

• Contemporary South Asia: Entrepreneurial Solutions to Intractable Social and Economic Problems (Harvard Business School)
  • Information and Communications Technology for Development
  • Business at the Base of the Pyramid (Harvard Business School)
  • International Economic Policy Analysis

My second year coursework continued to consolidate around my main interests. I got off campus a bit and took two great classes at the Harvard Business School, both related to innovations in serving low-income markets. International Economic Policy Analysis with Michael Klein was an excellent way to refresh my econometrics knowledge in a practical, applied way. An overall theme of my course choices at Fletcher has been combining business skills and economics topics in the context of applications for international development. 

Semester Four

• Gender, Culture and Conflict
  • Comparative Politics
  • Development Economics: Micro Perspectives
  • Behavioral Economics and Public Policy (Harvard Kennedy School)

In my last semester at Fletcher, I’m focusing a lot on my thesis, but also taking four classes. When I visited Fletcher before deciding to enroll, I visited Dyan Mazurana’s Gender, Culture and Conflict class and was blown away by the depth of the content and her dynamic teaching style. This semester I am finally getting to take the class myself, and it’s challenging me to think deeply about the role of gender in society and in conflict. My microeconomics class and behavior economics class complement each other well. The semester is keeping pace with my others in helping me see connections among a variety of topics and analytical as prescriptive methodologies.

HILLARY, MALD – ECONOMY POLICY IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES

HILLARY, MALD
UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Peace Corps Volunteer, Benin
Portfolio Analyst, NEPC Investment Consulting, Cambridge, MA

Fields of Study
Development Economics
International Political Economy

Capstone Topic
Trade Policy and Economic Integration in West Africa

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
International economic policy with a focus on developing countries

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Corporate Finance
  • Political Economy of Development
  • Law and Development
  • Petroleum in the Global Economy

My objective first semester was to lay the groundwork for the rest of my Fletcher curriculum. I wanted to knock out some of the breadth requirements while also taking at least one class out of pure interest in the subject. This semester I learned a lot about finance and a lot about development, both fields that I had worked in prior to attending Fletcher.

Semester Two

• Development Economics: Macro Perspectives
  • Econometrics
  • International Investment Law
  • International Trade and Investment

Second semester I began to think more about my fields of study and decided on Development Economics and International Political Economy. I focused mostly on taking courses that would satisfy my depth requirements. I also began to think about my thesis and started to build an academic relationship with Professor Kowalzcyk, who taught Trade and Investment and who is also my adviser. 

Summer Internship 
Treasury Department, Office of Environment and Energy

At the Treasury I worked with the Office of Environment and Energy. For most of the summer we were working on the design of the Green Climate Fund, an innovative new donor funded organization that provides financing for climate change mitigation and adaptation projects. The skills I learned in Corporate Finance and International Investment Law were very helpful in my internship.

Semester Three

• Advanced Trade and Investment
  • Econometric Impact Evaluation
  • Macroeconomic problems in Latin America
  • International Finance

Because of a quirk in course scheduling, most of the economics courses I wanted to take in my final year were offered only in the Fall semester. This meant taking four economics courses at once, which sounds crazier than it actually was. My favorite course was Econometric Impact Evaluation, because we had the opportunity to complete a consulting project for a development organization. My group worked with Catholic Relief Services and conducted an econometric impact evaluation of a malaria prevention campaign in Sierra Leone. 

Semester Four

• International Energy Policy
  • Sustainable Development Diplomacy
  • Political Economy of Reform, Growth, and Equity
  • Decision Making in Public Policy

With my fields of study complete, and just one breadth requirement left, I decided to take classes that would broaden my horizons and teach new skills. Having loaded up on economics courses the semester before, it is a nice to take some more writing intensive courses.

LULU, MALD – TECHNOLOGY AND STRATEGY

LULU, MALD
CANADA

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Financial Analyst, J.P. Morgan, NYC

Fields of Study
International Security Studies
International Information & Communication

Capstone Topic
The Cyber Relationship between the U.S. and China

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
To work for a private company or international organization that deals with technology and strategy

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester 1

• International Communication
  • Technology Strategy and Innovation in Global Markets
  • The US and East Asia

For the first semester, I tried to get a mix of useful tools (i.e. Analytic Frameworks and International Negotiation) and broad experimentation (since I was still doing some soul searching to narrow my interests). To date, Analytic Frameworks has been one of my most useful classes, giving me a great foundation for understanding a wide range of policy issues through models like decision trees and game theory. The professor, Carolyn Gideon (who also teaches International Communication), quickly became a mentor and is now my thesis adviser.

Semester 2

• Strategic Dimensions of the Rise of China
  • Decision Making & Public Policy
  • Technology & International Security
  • Terrorism & Counterterrorism

This might be my best semester, in terms of course selection. Every single one of these classes was a big win – fascinating subjects, useful assignments, and excellent professors. I’ve had some great classes every semester, but this combination was probably the most enjoyable all around. I had no plans to take the Terrorism class, but signed up at the advice of a second year who told me it was one of his favorite classes at Fletcher. It is now one of my favorite classes at Fletcher.

Summer Internship

Consultant, World Bank ICT Sector Unit, Washington DC

Semester 3

• International Finance
  • Petroleum in the Global Economy
  • The Role of Force in International Politics
  • Independent Study

Finance –this class makes the topic as un-painful as possible. I learned a lot in a short time, and Professor Klein’s jokes are seriously underrated. The Petroleum class is a favorite for a lot of Fletcher students, and there are usually far more people who want to take it than physically fit in the classroom. Role of Force is a packed 11 weeks of security studies and international relations theory, and Professor Shultz is a fan favorite here at Fletcher. I also took an independent study credit in order to focus on making progress on completing my thesis, and, uh…I don’t care to comment more on that.

Semester 4

• Communications Policy Analysis and Modeling
  • Gender, Culture and Conflict in Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
  • Law & Development
  • International Relations of the US & East Asia

It just occurred to me that my last semester is a throwback to my first semester, with continuations of two of my favorite classes: Communication and US & East Asia. Communications as a field and East Asia as a region are two areas of study where I had little previous experience and where Fletcher really deepened my interest. I also try to take a “just because” class every semester. These are classes that might not directly pertain to my academic concentration but that are interesting and fun. In previous semesters, these have included Modern Terrorism & Counterterrorism and Petroleum in the Global Economy. This semester, it’s the Gender class. I’ve heard great things about it since before coming to Fletcher, and it definitely approaches the study of armed conflict from a different (and important!) angle.

MICHAEL, MA/MD – MEDICINE

MICHAEL, MA/MD DUAL DEGREE
UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience

• Combined MD/MA candidate. Three years of Medical School completed, one remaining
  • Prior International experience teaching in eastern Europe, hospital work in southern India

Capstone Topic
Innovation and Motivation in Pharmaceutical R&D Strategies in Developing Countries

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
I will likely pursue an internal medicine residency, and subsequently practice, though I intend to increasingly integrate my Fletcher education into non-practicing work as my career progresses.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Development Aid in Practice
  • Information and Communication Technologies for Development
  • The International Legal Order
  • Large Investment and International Project Finance

Coming from a very different environment, and only having a single year at Fletcher, I chose breadth over depth, with a general emphasis on two separate (but each equally relevant to physicians) areas; business and development. At the same time, I wanted to take courses with well-known faculty, including courses that embodied the “quintessential” disciplines of the Fletcher education. Professor Glennon’s “International Legal Order” satisfied both these intentions, while two development courses (including Development Aid co-taught by Dean Uvin), were tangentially relevant to some of the programs and initiatives many doctors are involved with. Lastly, Professor Uhlmann’s Project Finance class was a terrific course in studying not only the socio-political influences in project finance, but also practical accounting skills. This was a diverse and balanced semester that allowed me to achieve all my goals in selecting classes.

Winter Term
Healthcare in China - Opportunities for Innovation and Integration (HBS - in Shanghai)

Semester Two

• The Economics of Global Health and Development
  • Strategy and Innovation in the Evolving Context of International business
  • Entrepreneurial Marketing - Building a Winning Business Plan
  • Innovation, Access to Medicines, and Global Governance (1/2 credit at Harvard School of Public Health)
  • Political Economy and Business Context of Latin America (1/2 credit)
  • Public Policy and Decision Making (audit)

Cross-registering at Harvard was an opportunity I wanted to take advantage of, and during the winter and spring I was able to take two Harvard courses which were relevant to my education overall Fletcher experience. Economics of Global Health and Development focused on the exact type of material that motivated my year at Fletcher. Lastly, courses with Dean Chakravorti and Professor Martel were additional opportunities to study under well-known faculty. My coursework took me on some twists and turns as the year progressed, alternating my focus and interest between private, public, small and big picture, though the sum effect was as I hoped and expected, to provide the diverse education, skills, and mindset that I will undoubtedly utilize throughout my career  - both clinically and non-clinically.

MUMTAZ, MA – FOREIGN SERVICE

MUMTAZ, MA
PAKISTAN

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Diplomat with the Foreign Service of Pakistan, with diplomatic assignments in Paris, Geneva and Washington DC

Field of Study
International Organizations

Capstone Topic
Implications of the use of drones on the notion of state sovereignty

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals 

Will continue to work in the Foreign Service for some time but I eventually intend to go consultancy

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• International Treaty Behavior
  • International Human Rights Law
  • Evolution of Strategy
  • Negotiations and Conflict Management

Although a practitioner of international relations and diplomacy, I came to Fletcher with little grounding in the conceptual frameworks of international politics. I benefited from the wide array of courses on offer. In particular, I really liked the course content of law courses and the caliber of the law faculty. My favorite class was international treaty behavior taught by Professor Antonia Chayes who brings together an ideal combination of theory and practice in international law. She is also my thesis adviser. 

Semester Two

• International Organizations
  • Management of NonProfit Organizations
  • International Energy Policy
  • Leadership in Public and Private Organizations
  • International Law-International Relations (Audit)

In my second semester, I tried to get out of my comfort zone (i.e. international law and politics) and took International Energy Policy. Taught by Professor Gallagher, this is an interesting course as we learn about the economics, science, and politics of energy. I took the Management of Nonprofit organizations to fulfill one of my requirements. I benefited enormously from this course which helps us develop managerial skills to run any public or private enterprise. 

NATHAN, MALD – INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT

NATHAN, MALD
UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience 
Peace Corps Volunteer, Niger
Communications & Programme Assistant, Plan Niger

Fields of Study
NGO Management
Human Security

Capstone Topic
Defining Success and Failure in Development NGOs

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
Project, program, and policy work in international development

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

My strategy for choosing courses was to get the combination of a) policy & management skills and b) a variety of sector knowledge, to be an attractive candidate for program and policy positions. For the technical & management, I took the management and accounting classes, as well as the design, evaluation & economics. I took these all at Fletcher, though there are a variety of classes at HKS and elsewhere. For more specific sector knowledge, I've tried to get a variety of areas relevant to aid work, with a focus on more empowering approaches such as education and financial inclusion. Adding human rights law, humanitarian studies and gender will help make me a more versatile professional.

Semester One

• Analytic Frameworks for Public Policy Decision-making
  • Human Rights Law
  • Humanitarian Studies in the Field

Semester Two

• Microfinance and Inclusive Commerce
  • Econometrics
  • Rights Based Approach to Design, Monitoring Evaluation & Learning
  • International NGOs: Ethics & Management Practice

Summer Internship
Plan West Africa Regional Office, "Because I Am A Girl" Campaign

At WARO, my main deliverable was a strategy for girls' education advocacy in West Africa. I also helped the country offices in the region with their advocacy and program plans for the 4-year Campaign, and worked on the BIAAG Africa reports from 2012 (editing) and 2013 (lit review to prepare for research).

Semester Three

• Development Aid in Practice
  • Econometric Impact Evaluation
  • Development Economics: Policy Perspectives
  • Education Policy Analysis in Comparative Perspective (at Harvard Grad School of Education)

January Term

• Evaluation of Development and Peacebuilding (1/2 credit module)

Semester Four

• Market Approaches to Human Development
  • Government and nonprofit accounting
  • Gender, Culture, Conflict in Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
  • Independent Study (Capstone)
PATRICK, MALD – CULTURAL DIPLOMACY AND DEVELOPMENT

PATRICK, MALD
UGANDA

Pre-Fletcher Experience
School Organist and Instructor Music, Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
Assisting Organist, Trinity Wall Street, New York, NY

Fields of Study
International Organizations
Law and Development

Capstone Topic
International Trade in Services: The Case of Music in Uganda

Post Fletcher-Career Goals
I’m interested in starting a Cultural Advisory Group to work with developing countries to leverage their cultural diplomacy and to diversify their economies by investing in creative industries and developing arts institutions. But education also continues to be of interest, and I may continue with law school or a PhD in Public Policy.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Law and Development

For the first semester I wanted to take as many breadth required courses for the MALD degree as possible. I satisfied the two required courses for the Division of Diplomacy, History and Politics and the one for the Division of International Law and Organizations. I knew about customary law in Africa, but the paper I wrote for Professor Salacuse in Law and Development sharpened my understanding of the intricacies of intellectual property in developing countries. I also first encountered this question here: Is a strong rule of law a precursor for development or does development come first and then the rule of law follows?  

Semester Two

• Introduction to Economic Theory
  • International NGOs: Ethics and Management Practice
  • Strategic Marketing for Non-Profit Organizations
  • Values, Culture and Development

I’m interested in the interaction of non-profits with the public and the private sectors in different cultural settings, hence my choice of courses in NGO marketing and management. I learned that NGOs tend to underestimate their value when they partner with corporations.  Yet they do have stories corporations like to associate with. 

Summer Internship
The Mae Fah Luang Foundation Under Royal Patronage, The Doi Tung Development Project, Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Formerly known as the Thai Hill Crafts Foundation, the Mae Fah Luang Foundation was founded in 1972 to increase opportunities for ethnic minority groups in Northern Thailand. I became interested in the Foundation because, among other things, it incorporates the arts into development.  As a researcher, analyst and communication strategist, I worked in a team whose objective was to improve the Foundation’s communication strategy. Our deliverables included making a short documentary to promote the Foundation’s sustainable development practices in Thailand, Myanmar, Afghanistan and Indonesia.

Semester Three

• Data analysis and Statistical Methods for Decision-Making
  • Development Economics:  Policy Analysis
  • Legal and Institutional Aspects of International Trade
  • Innovation Systems and Global Development (Harvard Kennedy School)
  • Technology Policy and Global Development (Harvard Kennedy School)

Since my thesis on music and trade touches on innovation, technology, law and economics, I wanted to take courses in which I could learn more about those areas.  This was my first encounter with world trade law. While the material was challenging, I learned a lot in Professor Trachtman’s Legal and Institutional Aspects of International Trade.  In this semester, I was also able to fulfill the required courses for my Law and Development field.  

Semester Four

• Field Studies in Global Consulting
  • International Organizations
  • Intellectual Property Law (Harvard Law School)
  • Social Institutions and Economic Development (Harvard Kennedy School)

I’m learning a lot in Professor Johnstone’s International Organization’s class, which also happens to be my last required course.  Since I have a particular interest in the arts and international relations, I chose to take a course in global consulting to gain skills that I could use to consult in the areas including cultural diplomacy, creative industries and economic diversification. The intellectual property law class at Harvard was a strategic choice: I wanted to learn more about areas such as copyright and patents and how they relate to the arts and trade.

SOL, MA – ACADEMIA

SOL, MA
PHILIPPINES

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Director for Intellectual Exchange, Asia-Europe Foundation, Singapore
Junior Consultant, Local Government Academy, Philippines

Capstone Topic
Development Induced Displacement

Post-Fletcher Career Goals
I will pursue my PhD in Southeast Asian Studies, hopefully transitioning into an academic career.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Development Aid in Practice
  • Legal & Institutional Aspects of International Trade Law
  • International Human Rights Law
  • Independent Study – How Mass Atrocities End Project

As a one-year MA student, I started my short stint at Fletcher thinking that I would finally exorcise that demon in my head saying “you should have studied law.” I took human rights law, which was comfortable territory due to past professional experience, and trade law, which was wholly unfamiliar but where I learned the most last semester. For my independent study, I wrote a few case summaries for the World Peace Foundation’s research on mass atrocities, which will help me with my PhD dissertation on East Timor this fall. I didn’t expect it, but coming to Fletcher rekindled my interest in development studies. Inspired by the Development Aid in Practice course taught by Dean Uvin and Professor Wilkinson, I decided to re-focus my second semester and thesis on development issues.

Semester Two

• Political Economy of Development
  • Advanced Seminar on Conflict & Development
  • Comparative Politics
  • Non-profit Management: Important Ideas for Motivating and Leading Change
  • Introduction to Research Methods (Auditing)

I am writing my thesis on development-induced displacement, which is basically forced resettlement due to large infrastructure projects like dams. I chose my coursework as building blocks to help me construct my research. The literature in political economy provides the foundation; comparative politics and research methods provide methodological frames. My conflict and development class gives me a window into less familiar cases in Africa. Non-profit management gives me needed headspace away from my thesis with its stimulating simulating of real-world leadership challenges (incidentally fulfilling my EIB requirement with the least math possible!).

TANYA, MIB – BUSINESS RISK MANAGEMENT

TANYA, MIB
UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Senior Consultant, Control Risks Group, New York, NY 

Fields of Study

Strategic Management & International Consultancy
International Political Economy

Capstone topic
Doing business in Burma/Myanmar

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
I plan to remain in the business risk management field, working with companies to help them do business in challenging environments.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Financial Statement Management
  • International Business Strategy
  • Global Macroeconomics
  • Social Networks in Organizations
  • Managerial Accounting

As an MIB, most of my classes for my first two semesters at Fletcher were part of the degree’s core curriculum. I was looking for a strong foundation in fundamental business skills and concepts, and that’s definitely what I got! The workload for Corporate Finance dominated the semester, but it was extremely satisfying to realize just how much I’d learned by the final exam, and going through it with the other MIBs was a great bonding experience.

Semester Two

• Global Political Economy
  • Statistical Methods for Business
  • Marketing Management
  • Managerial Economics
  • Fast Companies
  • Acting in Time: Leadership and Management in the Face of Large-Scale Risks (Harvard Business School)

In my second semester, I was still focused on completing the core MIB curriculum, but I was able to branch out a little bit by cross-registering for a class on risk management at Harvard Business School. I also really enjoyed taking statistics with Professor Nakosteen (the class widely known as “Nako-stats”). As I wrapped up my first year, I was pleased to find that I had developed the foundation and skills I needed to be a knowledgeable participant in conversations about international finance and corporate strategy.

Summer Internship
I’ve been working as a freelance risk management consultant since starting at Fletcher and spent the summer taking on projects in the US and Paris, and traveling in Portugal, Spain, and Greece.

Semester Three

• Starting New Ventures
  • Petroleum in the Global Economy
  • History of Financial Turbulence and Crises
  • International Business Transactions

With most of my core requirements complete, third semester was my first chance to put together my own schedule, and it was fantastic. History of Financial Turbulence was a wonderful course to take right as I returned from a summer in the Eurozone crisis countries, and Starting New Ventures gave me an entirely new perspective on how and why start-ups succeed (or don’t). International Business Transactions made me glad I didn’t go to law school, but I think it was really valuable to learn how lawyers think about business challenges, and I expect this course to be one I draw on frequently in the future.

Semester Four

• Modern Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
  • Managing the Growing Enterprise
  • Independent Study for capstone project
  • Political Economy and Business Context of the European Union (in French)
  • Finance, Growth and Business Cycles
  • Technology, Security and Conflict in the Cyber Age (Harvard Kennedy School)

My schedule this semester is the reason I chose to do the MIB at Fletcher: Where else could I take a course on counter-terrorism back-to-back with a course on transitioning a business from a start-up to a sustainable company? Or discuss business case studies and the development of the EU in French on Monday, then do independent research on business in Burma on Tuesday? If you’d told me in my first semester that by my last semester, I would be taking a class on business cycles, I probably wouldn’t have believed you, but here I am, and it’s a very satisfying feeling.

YUMIKO, MALD – PRIVATE SECTOR DEVELOPMENT

YUMIKO, MALD
JAPAN

Pre-Fletcher Experience
Associate at Global Sales and Business Development Department, Toyota Group of Companies

Fields of Study
Development Economics
International Business Relations

Capstone Topic
Appropriate Technology for the Base of the Pyramid: Case of Energy Sector in India

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals 
I’m interested in working in international organizations, development consulting firms or bilateral development agencies in private sector development field.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Corporate Finance
  • Data Analysis and Statistical Methods
  • Political Economy of Development

In my first semester, I focused on meeting breadth requirements and core courses for my fields of study. Because this was the very first semester that I studied outside of my country, and I took two demanding courses (corporate finance and development economics), to be honest, I struggled. However, I really enjoyed courses, particularly development economics, which I had wanted to study deeply since I was an undergraduate student.

Semester Two

• Microfinance and Financial Inclusion
  • Development Economics: Macro Perspective
  • International Trade and Investment
  • Corporate Governance
  • The Business Environment and Economy in India
  • New Frontiers in Philanthropy, Social Enterprise and Impact Investing (Harvard Kennedy School)

This semester, in addition to strengthening my knowledge and skills in international development, I focused on subjects around business for the base of the pyramid, CSR, social entrepreneurships, etc. The course at HKS was good to understand the overview of impact investing, which is relatively new field in market-based approach. Also, I took a module course of regional study about India to expand my regional expertise in addition to Latin America (my undergrad major) and to prepare for my internship there. 

Summer Internship
UNDP Panama - Millennium Development Goal, Poverty Reduction Unit
Kopernik - Indian NGO, monitoring and evaluation of technology dissemination project for the base of the pyramid

Semester Three 

• Econometrics
  • International Negotiation
  • International Business Operation and strategy

Econometrics with Professor Aker was the one of the best classes that I have taken at Fletcher; I really learned a lot and enjoyed her class. After coming back from my internships, I became more and more interested in frameworks and business models that both the private and public sectors can develop to generate employment and income for the base of the pyramid. This focus helped me decide to take the informal economy and business strategy classes. 

Semester Four

• Market Approaches to Economic and Human Development
  • Law and Development
  • Economics of Global Health and Development
  • Program Evaluation (Harvard Kennedy School)

In my final semester, other than the one requirement that I had to meet (Law and Development, for my law requirement), I am taking three seminar courses to further strengthen skills in international development, focusing especially on private sector development. I especially like program evaluation course, where I can apply what I learned through econometrics last semester. Because the class is taught by a professor who is a practitioner at international organization, the class is very practical and huge plus for my future career. 

KAYE, MALD - ENVIORNMENTAL POLICY

KAYE, MALD, UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience: Before coming to Fletcher I worked for a political organization based in San Francisco that helped to mobilize voters and win elections up and down the ballot.

Fields of Study: International Security and International Development and Environmental Policy

Capstone Topic: Looking at the impact of geopolitical shocks on international financial centers, specifically London and Hong Kong

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals: Work in the public sector on environmental policy

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester 1

• Process of International Negotiation
  • Climate Change & Clean Energy
  • Intro to Economic Theory
  • Law of the Sea

First semester I was focused on tackling the general breadth requirements while I solidified my fields of study. For me, this semester proved to be the hardest - not necessarily because my classes were super challenging, but more so reacclimating to being a student again. At the same time, I made some fantastic friends through these classes who were invaluable in easing that transition.

Semester 2

• U.S Foreign Policy 1898-Present
  • Analytic Frameworks
  • Power in World Politics
  • Corporate Social Responsibility

This semester was probably my favorite, because I felt like I really had a handle on juggling my coursework, making sure to ask for help and finalizing my fields of study. As was the case the semester prior, I came to really appreciate the quantitative requirement because it forced me to use a different part of my brain.

Semester 3

• Foreign relations of modern China
  • National Security Decision Making
  • Role of Force in International Politics
  • Environmental Problem Solving

This semester I saw the most overlap between my courses. Having the material reinforced through different classes helped make the curriculum feel more holistic and interconnected. Even though this was the first semester that was entirely remote, I greatly appreciated each of my professors commitment to creating inclusive virtual classrooms.

Semester 4

• Privacy in the Digital Age
  • Strategy and Grand Strategy
  • Peace Operations
  • Independent Study

My last semester was an opportunity to take courses in areas that I'd been interested in, but had not necessarily aligned with my schedule in the past. Additionally, I decided to create an independent study to work on my capstone, which I found critical to carving out dedicated time for research and writing.

LISA, MALD - EURASIA FOCUS

LISA, MALD, UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience

Intern at the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation

Social media manager for small and medium businesses

Fields of Study at Fletcher

Russia and Eurasia (self-designed)

International Information and Communication

Human Security

Extra-Curricular Activities

Co-Leader of the Fletcher Eurasia Club

Communications Assistant with the Fletcher Russia and Eurasia Program

Research Assistant at CIERP

Teaching Assistant to Professor Chris Miller

Volunteering for #SaveOlegSentsov campaign (now called Prisoner’s Voice)

Goals for the Future: Surviving this apocalyptic year; not getting coronavirus if possible; getting a job

Curriculum Overview

Semester One

Lisa first semester classes

In all honesty, I was not entirely sure what I wanted from my Fletcher degree. I came to Fletcher right after completing my undergraduate degree in Global Affairs, which covered a lot of ground and was similar to Fletcher’s Human Security concentration. I did not know whether to focus on a specific geographic region or a field. I ended up doing a little bit of both.

During my first semester, I decided to take courses that would satisfy some of my breadth requirements: I took International Human Rights Law as my ILO course and Processes of International Negotiation along with Development Aid in Practice as my DHP requirements. Additionally, all three of the aforementioned classes also qualify for Human Security field of study and were just extremely interesting to me. I knew I wanted International Information and Communication as one of my concentrations, so I took International Communication as it is a field requirement. Processes of International Negotiation with Professor Diana Chigas was my favorite class that semester. I cannot recommend it strongly enough!

Semester Two

Lisa second semester classes

My second semester at Fletcher was extremely challenging academically. I had to change my schedule entirely, because I ended up not enjoying the courses I has signed up for originally. I took Statistics and Intro to Econ to complete my breadth requirements. If you – like me – never had to take economics and statistics, and if you – again, like me – do not enjoy them, I do not recommend taking those two courses during the same semester.

I took a Russian history class with Professor Chris Miller for several reasons. First, I enjoy studying the region. Second, I thought this class would be useful to better my understanding of Russian policy making today through drawing historical connections. Third, I had heard great things about Professor Miller’s classes. This course was my favorite during my second semester at Fletcher! After taking it, I decided that Russia and Eurasia would be my other field of study. Additionally, this course was instrumental in developing my capstone idea and a research question. During my second semester, I also took a Harvard class on Russian domestic politics. It was an extremely reading-heavy but useful course.

Semester Three  

Lisa third semester classes

My third semester at Fletcher was filled with new experiences: I became a Co-Leader of the Eurasia Club, started working on research for the Center for International Environment and Resource Policy (CIERP), and became a volunteer for the #SaveOlegSentsov campaign after spending my summer interning in Ukraine. It was also probably the best semester classes-wise. This semester, I decided to focus on my International Information and Communication field of study. That is why I took Cyber in the Civilian Sector with Professor Josephine Wolff and GIS for International Applications with Professor Patrick Florance. I loved both of those classes! They are tied in “My Favorite Course” nomination in the third semester.

I took Engaging Human Security with Professor Kimberly Theidon because it is a requirement for the Human Security field of study. Professor Theidon is absolutely brilliant, and her class involved many thought-provoking readings and discussions. Although MALD students are required to complete only two fields of study, some of us end up with three based on our interests – or simply because we are overachievers! I also took Advanced Development and Conflict Resolution with Professor Neil Levine for fun. It sounded like an interesting course, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Semester Four

Lisa fourth semester classes 

Okay, I get it now – spring semesters are just not for me. Despite scaling back on my course load, this semester has been another challenging one for me and my classmates, and students all around the world. The good thing is that I am back in my beloved Washington, DC, cuddling with my dogs 24/7. The sad thing is that I miss my friends and in-person classes. It has been quite a change, but I am coping with it by posting hilarious memes on social media, having happy hours with friends over Zoom, and working on my capstone, of course.

This semester I decided to take an Independent Study and use it for my capstone research, since I was worried that it would be difficult to balance four classes, capstone, jobs, the Club, and my social life. I took U.S.-Russia Relations class with Professor Miller because it includes video-linked sessions with the students from MGIMO University in Russia. Additionally, under normal circumstances, as a part of the course Fletcher students travel to Russia over spring break for a conference and student policy workshop. Even though we did not get to go to Russia, this class is still great and engaging. It is hands down my favorite class this semester, and potentially overall during my time at Fletcher.

I am also taking the Corporate Social Responsibility course with Professor Jette Knudsen. I decided to take this class out of sheer curiosity: we hear about CSR on a daily basis, but what does it really mean? This is my only business class at Fletcher, and I enjoy it a lot. Lastly, I am taking Technology, Development, and Regulation with Professor Jonathan Greenacre. I thought this course would be a good addition to my International Information and Communication field.

So, this is my condensed Fletcher story. It is hard for me to believe that in about a month my Fletcher journey will be over. It is sad to realize that my class will have an online graduation, but those are the circumstances outside of our control. I am thankful for the past two years, full of personal and professional growth, friendships, events, and conversations with brilliant people. I am looking forward to seeing my fellow Fletcherites do wonderful and world-changing things!

GIORA, MALD - PUBLIC DIPLOMACY

GIORIA, MALD, UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience: I came to Fletcher directly from undergraduate at Franklin University Switzerland. I spent the summer before Fletcher interning at the U.S. Mission to the UN in Geneva (along with a second-year Fletcher student!).

Fields of Study: International Environment & Resource Policy, International Communication, and Southwest Asia & Islamic Civilization

Capstone Topic: State Department Social Media Messaging in Allied Countries During Political Turmoil: A “Market for Loyalties” Approach

Extracurriculars: Publicity Chair for Women in International Security, Diplomacy Club Co-President (second year), Admissions Ambassador & Interviewer, Tufts Literacy Corps

Sarah, the second-year student I worked with in Geneva, advised me over the summer on how to best take advantage of the flexible curriculum and fulfill as many breadth requirements as possible through courses that would also satisfy my fields of study. I also had a thorough look at the full list of courses offered at Fletcher and kept a running list of “must take” classes. This helped me plan far in advance as most courses are only offered once a year; a handful of courses are only offered once every two years so planning can be paramount in these situations! Looking back, I ended up taking nearly every “must take” class on my list thanks to careful planning far in advance. I’d definitely recommend doing the same before you start Fletcher – you have to make the most of your time here!

Curriculum Overview

Semester One

• Geopolitics of Energy in Eurasia
  • International Communication
  • The Arabs and their Neighbors
  • Data Analysis & Statistical Methods

The statistics course is one of the most popular classes at Fletcher as a majority of people take it to fulfill their quantitative requirement; it helps that Professor Nakosteen explains the concepts in a way that made sense even to students like me who are not particularly mathematically inclined. I also particularly enjoyed my International Communication course, which serves as the foundation course for the field of study. As a more survey-style course, it covers everything from regulation of the communications industry to public diplomacy and freedom of expression in authoritarian states. I’d highly recommend it, especially for as an elective for students who haven’t had significant exposure to the field.

Semester Two

• Science Diplomacy
  • Legal Aspects of International Trade
  • U.S. Public Diplomacy
  • U.S.-EU Relations (1.5 credits)
  • U.S. Diplomatic Tradecraft (1.5 credits)

This semester was probably my most challenging one at Fletcher. I was working about 30 hours a week at the U.S. Government Accountability Office, which meant that I had to cram all of my classes into two days per week. During the second half of the semester, I was on campus from 8am to 8:30pm, with a break of about two hours for lunch. Looking back, it was simultaneously stressful and exciting. The particular mix of classes and assignments worked really well together, as my classes shared recurring themes like international trade and diplomatic negotiation. In U.S. Public Diplomacy, I had the opportunity to study under Ambassador William Rugh, who is one of the most widely read scholars and practitioners of public diplomacy. My undergraduate IR thesis drew heavily from his books on public diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa region; it was truly a dream come true to be able to learn from him. I’d also credit the U.S.-EU Relations and U.S. Diplomatic Tradecraft courses as some of my favorites at Fletcher, as they combined hard skills like memo writing and oral briefings with highly-relevant issues like sanctions and negotiation.

Summer internship: Public Affairs Intern at the U.S. Embassy in London (12 weeks)

Gioia at the US Embassy in LondonSemester Three

• International Finance
  • Petroleum in the Global Economy
  • Environmental Problem Solving

Over the summer, I did a thorough audit of my remaining curriculum requirements and realized that despite my planning the previous year, three of my four courses would have to fulfill various areas of the breadth requirement. Having passed the econ equivalency exam in my first year, I needed to take a higher-level economics course; since I hadn’t taken Quantitative Methods or Econometrics, I was slightly more limited in my course options. I ended up picking International Finance with Professor Klein, which served as a great primer for understanding the Federal Reserve system and international macroeconomics on a broader scale. Although I don’t plan to go into the international finance field, it did give me a lot of important background knowledge to understand the reasoning and knock-on effects of decisions like lowering the federal funds rate.

I also really enjoyed my course on Petroleum in the Global Economy, even for those who aren’t looking to get into the energy industry. It provides a thorough look at the entire petroleum value chain, complete with political risk case studies and financial models to understand where and why companies choose to invest. It’s a great blend of the DHP and EIB sides of the curriculum.

Semester Four

• Democratization in the Middle East
  • Modern Terrorism & Counterterrorism
  • Informal and Underground Finance
  • GIS for International Applications

Gioia's catThanks to my curriculum planning in the last year, I had nearly free rein on what classes I wanted to take this semester. I wanted to gain a mix of hard skills in my final semester and learn more about topics that are adjacent (but not necessarily directly related) to my fields of study. I’ve really enjoyed my classes on Modern Terrorism & Counterterrorism and Informal & Underground Finance as I’ve had previous experience in areas related to the fields without having much in-depth knowledge. I’d also strongly recommend taking GIS (Geographic Information Systems) at some point during your time at Fletcher; it teaches you a highly valuable hard skill and lets you think about connections between phenomenon in a new light. My final project is exploring the link between terrorist attacks and tourism in Tunisia, which ties into all of my other classes this semester. While I’m disappointed to not physically be on campus for the last few weeks of graduate school, the transition online has been pretty seamless. It helps to have a study buddy to get me through the last few weeks of Capstone writing and finals!

MANAVED, MALD - PEACEKEEPING

MANAVED, MALD, INDIA

Pre-Fletcher Experience

ManavedAfter graduating from law school in 2017, I worked in the Supreme Court of India for a while, followed by a stint at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. Once I was convinced that I needed a postgraduate degree from an elite institution for my long term career prospects, I decided to head to Fletcher in the fall of 2018.

Needless to say, I was one of the younger candidates for the MALD program, and the continuous exposure to varying levels of experience proved to be an immense catalyst to my learning during my time here.

Fields of Study

My fields of study were International Organizations and International Security Studies. For those who are anxious about choosing a field of study, it usually works itself out, and before you know it you have completed most of the requirements. At the same time, I would suggest that you complete your requirements in the first year so that you can have some breathing space in your final year.

Capstone

My Capstone broadly concerns the Arms Trade Treaty and its effect on non-state actors. My classes at Fletcher helped greatly in understanding the problem, and my friends at Fletcher helped greatly in formulating a solution. I took two classes under Professor Cerone during my time at Fletcher, and it was an easy decision to choose him as my advisor.

Curriculum Overview

My time studying at Fletcher has been busy without being stressful, and I would say that after the pleasantly surprising jolt in the first semester, every subsequent semester was easier than the rest. I finished most of my requirements in the first year, and I spent second year exploring the subjects I liked, but in which I had no expertise. My final semester was arguably the easiest, and perhaps the most interesting.

Semester 1

Gender, Culture, and Conflict

Role of Force

Conflict in South Asia – [Certified Audit]

International Humanitarian Law

International Organizations

Many Fletcher veterans will recognize some of the heavyweight courses listed here.

Gender, Culture, and Conflict had so many people propounding its virtues that I had to join it, and I assure you that it is one of the best classes you can take in this school. Role of Force is a well-loved staple for those in the field of Security, and IHL was a course that catered brilliantly to lawyers and non-lawyers alike. International Organizations was an obvious choice for someone who sees himself working in the United Nations, and Professor Cerone did not disappoint. Professor Arjun Subramaniam taught us the essentials of Conflict in South Asia, and coming from a brilliant military mind like his, he left nothing to be desired.

Semester 2

Historian’s Art

Grand Strategies in History

Introduction to Economics

Peace Operations

This semester, I decided not to audit any courses, primarily with a view to spend more time on Peace Operations, which is the specific field that I want to work in. At the same time, classes like Historian’s Art and Grand Strategies in History were great outlets for my creativity and helped me gain a wider perspective of why I do what I do. The Introduction to Economics course was extremely well-taught and is suitable for all levels of understanding, and I say this as someone who doesn’t regard themselves as quant-centric.

Overall, it was a very satisfying semester and I headed into summer-break with a lot to ponder.

Semester 3

Leadership

Conflict in Africa

International Environmental Law

Controlling Dangerous Weapons

Gender Theory and Praxis – [audit]

The rigorous in-class discussions during my Leadership class were complemented by the deep and detailed study that was the hallmark of the Conflict of Africa class. I also decided to spend a few of my precious credits on a Harvard class, and that materialized in the form of my Controlling Dangerous Weapons class at Harvard Kennedy School, which turned out to be an interesting experience.

I took a class on International Environmental Law, taught by the brilliant Professor David Wirth, which took me back to the best days of law school. I decided to audit the much-loved Gender Theory and Praxis class under Professor Theidon, and I remember looking forward to the in-class discussions every week.

By now, I had a clear picture of what I wanted to do after graduation, and the days were passing much more smoothly.

Semester 4

Statistical Methods for Business

Informal and Underground Finance

North Korean State and Society

US Policy in South Asia

As I write this, the final semester is almost halfway done. The classes I took this semester are a careful mix of interesting and thought-provoking. They all occur once a week, and this ensures that I have enough time in my final months to spend time with friends, as well as finalize my plans after Fletcher.

When it comes to prioritization, I would recommend, without hesitation, don’t save anything too difficult for your final semester. You want to end it on a high note, with your Capstone submitted and a job offer in hand, not figuring out which requirement you inadvertently missed.

What the Future Holds

My immediate future seems to be subjecting myself to varying degrees of social distancing, but after Fletcher, I plan to spend a few months back in India with my family, while I prepare to shift base to Central Africa to pursue peacekeeping-related fieldwork.

Fletcher has this innate ability to inspire you, no matter the situation, and the next few years look promising as my friends and I dive into the next chapter of our lives.

CHRIS, MALD - CONFLICT RESOLUTION

Christopher, MALD, UNITED STATES/CANADA

Pre-Fletcher Experience
BA 2019, University of Michigan: Political Science, International Studies and Music

Missionary, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Fields of Study
Conflict Resolution

Public International Law

Capstone Topic
Establishing an open-source database for deradicalization programs worldwide.

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
Work in conflict resolution for 2-3 years before pivoting to law school or the US Foreign Service.

CURRICULUM OVERVIEW

Semester One

• Quantitative Methods
  • Macroeconomics
  • Econometrics
  • The International Legal Order
  • Marketing for Non-profit Organizations (Certified Audit)

I came to Fletcher straight after finishing my undergraduate degree with two primary goals: to study conflict resolution and to fill in gaps in my knowledge, particularly in economics, statistics and law. Thus, my first semester was devoted to completing some of the foundational courses in these areas. Econometrics with Julie Schaffner is one of the best classes I have ever taken.

Semester Two

• International Mediation
  • The Historian’s Art and Current Affairs
  • Managing NGOs and Social Enterprises
  • Econometric Impact Evaluation for Public Policy and Social Programs
  • Modern Terrorism and Counterterrorism (Certified Audit)

Not all semesters need to be devoted to completing course requirements or career-oriented classes. I decided to take some classes I thought interesting purely out of curiosity, such as “Managing NGOs” and “the Historian’s Art” and found them very useful. In the meanwhile, I continued to deepen my understanding of conflict resolution and economics. Auditing Modern Terrorism helped me frame my capstone project without having all of the obligations of a normal class.

Summer Internship

• Communications, USAID VSFS YouthLead Program
  • Assistant, Bridgeway Group

Even though my internship with the State Department was canceled due to the pandemic, substitute internships at USAID and Bridgeway Group (a conflict resolution organization) acquainted me with government work and the conflict resolution community.

Fall Internship

• Research Assistant, Middle East Institute

Semester Three

• Theories of Conflict and Conflict Resolution
  • Foundations for Financial Accounting and Corporate Finance
  • Microeconomics
  • GIS for International Applications

In my first semester I planned out my entire four-semester experience at Fletcher. When I showed a 2nd-year friend, they laughed and told me I was crazy to think my plans would not change. My third semester is evidence of how right they were. As I applied to internships, I realized that certain skills, such as knowledge of GIS and finance, were closely associated with job openings I was interested in. So, this semester I focused on those skills.

Semester Four

• Negotiation Workshop (Harvard Law School)
  • Dispute Systems Design Clinic (Harvard Law School)
  • Public International Law
  • Comparative Constitutional Law
  • Jessup International Moot Court
  • Religion and Violence (Certified Audit)

My final semester brought me unexpected new opportunities, such as being able to consult for an international NGO in the Dispute Systems Design Clinic at HLS. Taking the Negotiation Workshop and Public International Law with Professor Glennon seemed to me a fitting end to my studies at the Fletcher School, as it returned me to the foundational classes from first semester.

GABBY, MALD - DEVELOPMENT IN LATIN AMERICA

Gabby, MALD, UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience

The Agenda Project, Junior Associate

Truman National Security Project, Grants Manager

Fields of Study

Human Security

Development Economics

Capstone Topic

Effectiveness and equity in foreign aid to education

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

I'm interested in working on programs in any of the following fields, with a regional focus on Latin America: education, community development, and gender equality.

Curriculum Overview

Semester One

• Law and Development
  • Data Analysis and Statistical Methods
  • Engaging Human Security

I planned my first semester around getting a few requirements out of the way, for both breadth and field of study purposes. Since I hope to work in Latin America after Fletcher I also took a course that would provide me with more regional knowledge. I rounded out my first semester with the statistics class, which would set me up for future quantitative courses and also satisfy the quantitative requirement.

Semester Two

• Econometrics
  • Technology, Development, and Regulation
  • Managing NGOs and Social Enterprises
  • Political Economy of Development

My second year coursework continued with some breadth requirements, but also allowed me to learn about topics I'm not very familiar with, such as technology's role in development. I highly recommend Managing NGOs with Alnoor who's incredibly experienced and engaging. I also continued building up my quantitative skills with Econometrics, a highly demanded skill in international development.

Summer Internship

Over the summer I was a Research Assistant for Professor Julie Schaffner helping to update her Development Economics: Policy Analysis class.

Semester Three

• Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation
  • Development Aid in Practice

I enjoyed my semester three courses immensely, all of which equipped me with practical and tangible skills that I'll need as I embark on my post-Fletcher career. Processes of International Negotiation was one of the more helpful classes I've taken at Fletcher and I recommend it for everyone even if it's not your field of study. Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation was directly relevant to my future career goals, as was Development Aid in Practice. I also loved having Professor Schaffner again for her development economics class, which taught me analytical skills I can apply to any development program or policy.

Semester Four

• Influencing Policy and the Global Debate: Writing Analysis and Opinion
  • The Arts of Communication
  • GIS for International Applications

I finished up my Fletcher career with another semester of amazing classes. Both the writing and public speaking classes taught me valuable skills that will be relevant to any career or job. GIS was something fun to try since it was so different from any class or work experience I'd had before, and I really appreciate the skills I learned from it. And impact evaluation helped to solidify the quantitative and analytical skills I had been building up over the last two years with statistics and econometrics.

SABRINA, MALD – SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT

Sabrina, MALD, UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience

Senior Climate Change & Sustainability Analyst, ICF, Washington, D.C.

Fields of Study

International Environment and Resource Policy

Development Economics

Capstone Topic

Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC): An Effective Signal for Adaptation Finance? – Analyzed the effect of including climate adaptation in NDCs on bilateral adaptation finance using case studies and econometric impact evaluation

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

I’d love to work at the intersection of climate change and food systems policy in developing countries with a particular focus on African countries.

Curriculum Overview

Semester One

• Introduction to Economic Theory
  • Econometrics
  • Climate Change & Clean Energy Policy
  • International Environmental Law

During my first semester, I wanted to get my core economic and quantitative requirements out of the way. It’s not common to take Intro to Economic Theory and Econometrics at the same time, but it’s a good strategy to meet pre-requisites early in order to take advanced courses sooner. Climate Change & Clean Energy policy was an excellent foundational course. It also overlapped nicely with International Environmental Law, which provided a great overview of international environmental regimes.

Semester Two

• Sustainable Development Diplomacy
  • Dev Econ: Micro Perspectives
  • Political Economy of Development

I decided to focus on development in my second semester. I was glad that I took Impact Evaluation immediately after Econometrics (a pre-requisite) while the material was fresh in my mind as opposed to having a summer in between classes. I also turned my final paper from Impact Evaluation into my capstone, which saved me a ton of time (and stress). Dev Econ: Micro-perspectives was a fun course that complemented what I learned in Impact Evaluation, and my two DHP seminars balanced my economics-heavy courses.

Summer Internship

Graduate Research Assistant, Climate Policy Lab

I researched evidence of the socioeconomic and environmental impacts of a natural farming practice in Andhra Pradesh, India with Professor Tim Griffin and a student from the Friedman school. I also supported data analysis in Stata for Professor Jenny Aker’s research on the effect of training and cash transfers on farmers’ adoption of demi-lunes in Niger.

Semester Three

• Development Aid In Practice
  • Environmental Problem Solving
  • Socio-ecological Systems Thinking for Sustainability (Tufts UEP)
  • Africa in Global Politics (HKS)

At this point, I had one requirement left (Environmental Problem Solving), so I decided to cross-register for two courses. Africa in Global Politics is an excellent regional course for students interested in Africa. I also learned more about sustainability transformations through the Socio-ecological Systems course in the Tufts Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning (UEP) department. Development Aid in Practice was a great foundational course on development aid that overlapped with Africa in Global Politics in surprising and exciting ways.

Semester Four

• Arts of Communication
  • Corporate Social Responsibility
  • Law and Development
  • Food Systems & Policy in Developing Countries

In my final semester, I wanted to branch outside of my normal DHP/economics focus by taking business and law courses. These courses challenged me to think about climate issues from a new lens. Arts of Communication is an excellent course for sharpening communication skills, and the workload is very reasonable for second-years in the middle of a job search. The food policy course was perfectly aligned with my interests. This combination of courses is seminar heavy, but meeting once a week for each class freed up my schedule to finalize my capstone, job search, and enjoy the last bit of my amazing two years at Fletcher.

MEAGHAN, MALD - FOREIGN SERVICE

Meaghan, MALD, UNITED STATES

Pre-Fletcher Experience

• S. Economic Development Administration, Intergovernmental and Legislative Affairs Intern
  • Office of Congressman Brad Schneider (IL-10), Intern
  • Fulbright Malaysia, English Teaching Assistant

Fields of Study

• International Security Studies
  • International Negotiations and Conflict Resolution

Capstone Topic

Relationship between human rights provisions and the effective implementation of peace accords

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

I aspire to work in the Foreign Service with the U.S. Department of State.

Curriculum Overview

Semester One

• Analytic Frameworks
  • Gender Theory and Praxis
  • International Human Rights Law

I planned my first semester as a combination of breadth requirements and courses related to potential fields of study. Role of Force is a quintessential course for security studies courses and a great way to meet other students through the study groups. I took Analytic Frameworks, another quintessential Fletcher course, to gain critical skills for future jobs and expand my familiarity in quantitative analysis. Gender Theory was a great course for understanding the role of gender in the world. International Human Rights Law was both a breadth requirement and a class for fun to test out the ILO section of Fletcher.

Semester Two

• Conflict Resolution Theory
  • Privacy in the Digital Age
  • Modern Terrorism and Counterterrorism
  • Introduction to Economic Theory

My second year coursework continued with field requirements and courses on new topics. I highly recommend any course with Professor Wolff—she makes technology policy engaging and you learn so much!

Summer Internship

• Research Assistant for Professor Josephine Wolff on cybersecurity capacity building initiatives

Though my internship with the State Department was canceled due to the pandemic, working with Professor Wolff was a great opportunity to delve into a new field and learn about key

Semester Three

• National Security Decision Making
  • Cyber in the Civilian Sector
  • Ethics in the Practice of Foreign Affairs (Certified Audit)
  • International Humanitarian Law

During my third semester, I took a variety of courses. Processes of International Negotiation was a course that provided some valuable skills for negotiating and managing relationships—recommended regardless of field of study! National Security Decision Making was great for learning how to write Policy Options Memos and applying behavioral psychology to the policy-making apparatus. Any course with Professor Dannenbaum is highly recommended at Fletcher, whether or not you are studying Public International Law. International Humanitarian Law is essential for anyone going into humanitarian work, security work, and peace operations. Ethics is an important class that talks through how to draw moral and ethical lines in different scenarios that arise as practitioners of foreign affairs—highly encouraged for all those seeking to work in foreign affairs.

Semester Four

• 21st Century Intelligence
  • End of the World: What Comes Next?
  • Peace Operations
  • Independent Study for Capstone Research

I finished up my Fletcher career with more great courses. End of the World, which is one of the new courses, was especially important for assessing how countries react to systemic collapse and catastrophes. The 21st Century Intelligence course gave us the opportunity to create intelligence analysis products.

DAVID, LLM - LAW & DEVELOPMENT

DAVID MUTSINZI KAMANZI, LLM, RWANDA

Pre-Fletcher Experience

Project Coordinator at Peace Plan an NGO in Kigali, Rwanda.

Fields of Study

Law & Development

International Organizations.

Capstone project

Judicial Independence in the context of Africa: Case study of Kenya

Post Fletcher Professional Goals

Foreign relations, International Development

Strategy for choosing courses

Based on my career aspirations, I enrolled in these courses because I hoped to gain a good foundation of the knowledge about international systems of law, development, governance, leadership, and crisis management. I felt that these subject areas were critical considering my desire to work in the developing world. My time at Fletcher has given me a glimpse of the challenges that professionals face in the global systems of governance and how best to overcome and operate within these systems. All these courses provided me with the perfect balance between the theories and practice of each subject.

Semester 1

• International legal Order
  • International Organizations
  • Leadership

Semester 2

• Actors in Global Governance
  • Law and Development
  • International Investment Law
  • Modern Terrorism and Counter Terrorism
LIZ, MIB - GLOBAL OPERATIONS AND SUPPLY CHAIN

LIZ, MIB, USA

Pre-Fletcher Experience​

Dual BA's in economics and politics from NYU; 1 year as a Management Consultant with IBM; 3 years in People Operations with One Acre Fund

Fields of Study

Strategic Manage​ment and International Consultancy; International Political Economy

Capstone Topic

Valuing Wayfair (exact title is still pending)

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

I'm hoping to work in operations and supply chain for a global consumer goods company. Ultimately I aspire to work towards making supply chains more sustainable

Curriculum Overview
Semester 1:

• Strategic Management
  • Microeconomics
  • Macroeconomics
  • Financial Statement Management
  • Foundations Financial Accounting and Corporate Finance
  • Conflict in Africa
In this semester I gained the quantitative skills and analytical frameworks that would help me to handle my coursework for the rest of my tenure. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my finance and accounting classes, and this experience shaped the rest of my time at Fletcher, and my post graduate plans.
Semester 2:
  • ​International Financial Management
  • Global Private Equity
  • Marketing Management
  • Econometrics
This semester helped to position me for a pivot to the private sector by furthering my understanding of finance, while also giving me an overview of financial law and marketing. This was all very important to securing an internship, and ultimately a full time job post -graduation.
Summer Internship: MBA Fulfillment Intern at Chewy.com. My plans got disrupted by COVID, but through an MIB alum I was able to secure an internship at Chewy last minute. I loved my time there, and it definitely helped shape my career goals!

>Semester 3:

• ​Operations Management (HKS)
  • Managing Global Operation and Supply Chains
  • Managing International Trade and Investment (HBS)
  • Global Investment Management
  • Global Political Economy
  • Work and Employment Relations (audited)
This semester allowed me to learn more about operations and supply chains, which is my ultimate career focus. I also started working towards my global political economy field of study. An unexpected benefit of all classes being on zoom, was it really allowed me to take advantage of cross-registrant opportunities that wouldn't have been possible if I had to commute to and from campus. Through my class at HKS I got to put my operations skills to practice with a client project with the Massachusetts RMV.
Semester 4:
  • Field Studies in Global Consulting
  • E-Commerce (HBS)
  • Greater Boston Applied Field Lab (HKS)
  • Economic Business Environment of China
  • The End of the World and What Comes After
In this semester I got to put the skills I gained throughout my Fletcher career to use with two client projects, one with Gap and one with the city of Somerville. Being able to talk about the practical experiences I had through these client projects, and how I utilized the skills I learned at Fletcher during job interviews was instrumental in my ability to make the pivot from the non-profit to private sector.
REBECCA, MIB - IMPACT INVESTING AND DEVELOPMENT CONSULTING

REBECCA, MIB, USA

Pre-Fletcher Experience

Associate, Office of the CEO at the Global Impact Investing Network

Board and Governance Liaison, Amnesty International USA

Fields of Study

International Finance and Banking and Development Economics

Capstone Topic

The Drivers of Impact Performance in Impact Investments

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

Development consulting and impact investing

Curriculum Overview

Semester 1:

• Strategic Management
  • Foundations of Corporate Finance
  • Financial Statement Management
  • International Business Transactions
  • Microeconomics
  • Macroeconomics

The first semester consisted primarily of the core MIB curriculum, which granted me plenty of opportunities to connect with my MIB cohort and laid a strong foundation for higher level business courses in future semesters

Semester 2:

• Innovation Models for Building Inclusive Businesses
  • International Financial Management
  • Global Private Equity
  • Marketing Management
  • Political Economy and Business of the EU (in French)
  • Statistics

In my second semester I took higher-level finance courses Global Private Equity and International Financial Management, both of which were very useful to my extracurricular activities. Knowledge of private equity concepts is a key requirement for anyone interested in impact investing and this course was integral in valuing an early-stage company as part of the MIINT competition. Innovation Models is also a useful class for anyone seeking to understand the intersection of business and society; it taught me several frameworks for analyzing the non-financial value delivered by mission-driven companies. During my summer internship as an analyst at an emerging markets sovereign debt fund, I incorporated learnings about global financial transactions from International Financial Management nearly every day.

Semester 3:

• Development Economics - Macro Perspectives
  • Econometrics
  • Global Investment Management
  • International Finance
  • Large Investments and Project Finance
  • TA: Financial Statement Management

My third semester was my most demanding semester, as I took all quantitative courses. Though I might not recommend this course load to others because of how demanding it was, the challenge pushed me beyond my comfort zone, and I gained many of the hard skills I returned to school to acquire.

Semester 4:

• Informal and Underground Finance
  • The Arts of Communication
  • Independent Study: Capstone
  • TA: International Financial Management

My final semester culminates my Fletcher career with a mix of classes to prepare me to re-enter the workforce. The Arts of Communication, a course focused on honing public speaking skills, and International Economic Policy Analysis, a course on condensing complex economic concepts into digestible visualizations and analysis, provide training in oral and written communications that I will lean on well beyond my time at Fletcher. Finally, being a Teaching Assistant in both of my final semesters at Fletcher granted me opportunity to meet students outside of my own cohort and deepened my knowledge in key finance topics.

HASAN, MA - FOREIGN SERVICE

Md Hasan Abdullah Towhid, MA, Bangladesh

Pre-Fletcher Experience

Bangladesh Foreign Service Officer (career diplomat), joined Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dhaka as an Assistant Secretary in 2013. He was posted to the Embassy of Bangladesh in Lisbon, Portugal for three years during 2016-2019 as the First Secretary & Head of Chancery. Hasan also worked as an Assistant Commissioner & Executive Magistrate at the Office of the Deputy Commissioner, Natore in 2012. He worked as an International Climate Champion of British Council, Bangladesh from 2010 to 2012. As a popular Radio Jockey, he conducted different types of Radio Programs on Radio Aamar 88.4 FM. He participated several international conferences and summits in home and abroad.

Field of Study if Applicable

International Security Studies

Capstone Topic

Bangladesh is currently hosting around 1.1 million Rohingya Refugees from Myanmar. The Rohingya people have faced decades of systematic discrimination, statelessness and targeted violence in Rakhine State, Myanmar. In my capstone project, I would like to produce a video documentary series of five episodes having duration of six minutes each on this ongoing largest refugee crisis in the current world. The episodes will be produced on different themes comprising of videos, photos, expert opinions, on ground situation and interviews of Government officials, International Civil Servants, Diplomats, INGO workers and Rohingya people.

Post-Fletcher Professional Goals

As a career diplomat, I aspire to see myself among Bangladesh Ambassadors or even in higher capacities; and also, as an international civil servant preferably within the United Nations.

Curriculum Overview 

Semester One

• International Security
  • International Organizations
  • International Legal Order
  • Leadership: Building Teams, Organizations, & Shaping Your Path

I planned my first semester to conceptual theories and practices of international relations, security and international legal order. As I didn’t have any relevant undergraduate degree, the courses helped me in a great extent to equip me with substantive thoughts to adopt policies and mobilize resources to advance equitable and human rights-based sustainable development.

Semester Two

• World Maritime Affairs
  • Climate and Human Rights
  • Sustainable Development Diplomacy
  • Religion and Conflict

In my final semester, I would emphasize on policy issues relating to Climate Change, Migration, Maritime Affairs and SDGs. I require to complete the capstone project within the deadline and have chosen the courses relevant to my Post Fletcher Career.