What’s the goal?
We have three main research goals:
- To determine what impact the BioScann curriculum has on student interest in STEM topics, awareness of STEM careers, and confidence in their ability to obtain STEM careers.
- To investigate how the BioScann curriculum changes student data interpretation skills.
- To identify the most practical and effective ways to support the implementation of the BioScann curriculum.
As research partners we will work together, gathering information about how you and your students use the BioScann curriculum and resources. It’s important to emphasize that this is not an evaluation of you, your teaching, or your students. There is no single correct way to use the materials; we strongly believe that the materials should be adapted to fit your diverse teaching and learning environment.
Thank you very much for your time and energy!
Study inclusion criteria:
To be included in our study, you must meet the following criteria:
- Teach only 10-12th graders
- Have at least 15 students in your class who participate synchronously
How will I be compensated?
Just-in-time support: Research partners are paired with a scientist who has experience teaching the BioScann curriculum. They will be available as needed, to help prepare for lessons and to debrief after each lesson is over.
Financial: Your contribution of both time and expertise is highly valued. After participating in the study you will be compensated for your efforts.
Once you have completed everything, we will give your name to our administrator who will coordinate your payment.
Teachers who are running remote classes are encouraged to take part in the research study. It is best if the student surveys are taken during class, but we understand that your situation may make that extremely challenging.
**All student surveys and content tests must be completed online – preferably in the classroom. This means you will need computers or allow phone usage the day you administer the surveys/tests.**
For teachers with asynchronous learners:
Please send us a spreadsheet with the names of each student who participated in BioScann using asynchronous materials. If applicable, indicate which days students used asynchronous materials, and which days they joined for the synchronous class.
- Information sheet – read this prior to initiating the study.
- Pre-Survey – a quick survey to understand what you know about BioScann and gauge your teaching methods.
Student level (20 min of class time):
- Information sheet – must be distributed to students and parents prior to starting the curriculum.
- Attitudinal Pre-Survey – students take this in class; it takes about 10 minutes. This survey allows us to understand student STEM career goals, self-efficacy, interests, and outcome expectancies. Please have students complete this BEFORE the content test.
- Content Pre-Test – students take this in class; it takes about 10 minutes. This survey allows us to measure students’ graph reading abilities prior to participating in the BioScann curriculum.
- Daily Lesson Surveys – complete this survey after EACH lesson; if you are teaching in multiple classrooms at once, only complete one survey per BioScann lesson day UNLESS you treated each class differently. This survey allows us to learn how you are using the curriculum in your classroom.
- Post Survey – take this survey after completing the curriculum. This survey allows us to hear your thoughts about the curriculum after you have taught it.
- Student Workbooks – Please upload to Qualtrics 9 example workbooks (3 x underperforming, 3 x average, and 3 x exemplary students).
- Student Career Exploration Project – Please send us a picture of each student’s career exploration infographic. You can share the images with us through Qualtrics.
- Share any revised teacher materials
Student level (20 min of class time):
- Attitudinal Post-Survey – students take this in class; it takes about 10 minutes. This survey allows us to see how the BioScann curriculum influences student STEM career goals, self-efficacy, interests, and outcome expectancies. Have students complete this BEFORE the content test.
- Content Post-Test – students take this in class; it takes about 10 minutes. This survey allows us to see how the curriculum changes students’ graph reading skills.
To upload requested files, please follow instructions on this link:
Tufts University School of Medicine
Department of Medical Education
136 Harrison Ave
Boston, MA 02111