The Fessenden School, in West Newton, MA, is an all-boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students from Pre-K to Grade 9. The School seeks to employ individuals who will share our commitment to supporting The Fessenden School’s mission to cultivate each boy’s talents and develop in balance his character, mind, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For over 100 years we have been committed to the education of boys, and our facilities, curriculum, and programs are designed with the necessities of boys in mind.
Position Title: Kindergarten Co-Teacher
Temporary Full Time from November 2022 to June 2023
Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program
The Fessenden School seeks a Long-Term Substitute Co-Kindergarten Teacher for a self-contained class of 12 to 16 boys. The subbing assignment is expected to run from November 2022 to June 2023. The Substitute will be responsible for teaching math, social studies, language arts, and reading and assisting in the teaching and integration of Spanish, science, library curriculum and the arts. An integral part of this role is partnering with and complementing the other co-teacher in order to provide the students with a cohesive approach to all aspects of their kindergarten experience.
The essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teach and stay current with curriculum for math, social studies, language arts and reading, and 21st century learning
- Incorporate project based learning, educational technology, differentiated learning and cultural competency in lessons
- Partner with other Kindergarten teachers to coordinate consistency in curriculum and programs within grade level
- Collaborate and facilitate character education program with Lower School Head
- Coordinate reading program with Learning Resources department
- Exemplify the School’s mission and community principles, including honesty, respect and compassion
- Participate in and help facilitate all division and grade level activities
- Collaborate with colleagues within grade level, division, department and student support services, including the Learning Resources Department
- Perform duties such as supervising drop off and dismissal, recess, lunch; being a homeroom teacher and/or advisor, grade team member, student club facilitator: leading/assisting with fall orientation, grade trips and events.
- Maintain all documentation connected with the curriculum and students
- Review potential student applicants throughout the year
- Attend faculty meetings; typically on Mondays from 3:00pm to 4:15pm
- Attend professional development meetings; typically during school year there are three 8:30am to 4:00pm and three 3:00pm to 5:00pm
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Maintain current CPR/AED & first aid certification and child abuse prevention training
- Other duties as assigned
- November 2022 to June 2023
- Monday to Friday, 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
- Bachelor degree
- Experience in instructing children in an academic, athletic, or camp programs
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage a classroom
- Ability to perform critical thinking, organization, prioritization, and problem solving with minimal supervision
- Ability to serve in a diverse community of colleagues, students, and parents
- Enthusiasm and communication skills to engage boys and build meaningful relationships
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment, and the noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
Every applicant must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references through the Fessenden School Career Website (https://www.fessenden.org/about/employment). Other pertinent materials may be submitted as well if desired.