ArcGIS Online is an online, collaborative web GIS that allows users to create and share maps, scenes, apps, layers, analytics, and data. ArcGIS Online is a complete, cloud based mapping platform hosted by ESRI.
Tufts University holds an Enterprise Account/Subscription which allows current students, faculty and staff to create a personal ArcGIS Online account for their web mapping purposes using their Tufts University credentials (See below for directions)
Tools & Features of ArcGIS Online:
- Explore, understand, and measure your geographic data. Access ready-to-use maps and enrich them with your own data to reveal patterns, answers, and relationships about your community and the world.
- Spatial analytics allows you to identify and quantify the implications, consequences, and impact of your decisions. Use the analysis tools included in the map viewer to reveal new patterns, find suitable locations, enrich your data, find out what’s nearby, and summarize your data.
- Create maps, scenes, and apps: ArcGIS Online includes everything you need to create maps, create scenes, and create apps. Through the map viewer and scene viewer, you can access a gallery of basemaps and tools for adding your own layers and configuring mashups that you can share with others.
- Collaborate and share: Enable interaction with your organizational data by sharing content related to a common activity. You can also share maps by embedding them in web pages, on blogs, in web apps, and through social media.
- Apps for Everyone: Ready to Use Apps designed to guide you through specific tasks.
- Ready to Use Maps includes a Living Atlas of the World, comprised of authoritative maps and data on thousands of topics.
- Visualize large amounts of data and convey information in a way that’s more powerful than words
- Create Story Maps that engage and inspire audiences by telling interactive stories in a way that is much more connected than PowerPoint or conventional presentation methods. These stories can easily be embedded in browsers or websites.
Sign in to ArcGIS Online using your Tufts University Credentials
In order to access your free ArcGIS Online account through Tufts University, please follow these instructions:
- Go to https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html
- At the bottom of the sign in box, click the link for “Sign in with Enterprise Login”.
- Enter “tuftsgis” in the text box so the full domain reads tuftsgis.maps.arcgis.com. Press Continue.
- Click the option that says: Sign in to Tufts University using “TUFTS UNIVERSITY”
- Enter your Tufts UTLN (ex: jsmith01) and current password to login.
- Press sign in.
*** If this is your first time signing into to ArcGIS Online through Tufts Enterprise Account, you will receive an error that says your account it not “enabled for ESRI Access.” Please wait 5 minutes and log in again, and it will automatically be updated. This should only occur on your first log in. Thank you.
Get Started with ArcGIS Online
There are many resources for learning ArcGIS Online:
- Watch a Video Tour to help you get started.
- ArcGIS Online Help provides useful information and links for using and creating maps, performing analyses, sharing your maps, and publishing hosted web maps.
- Check out these Lessons for getting started with ArcGIS Online using Hawaii data.
- Sign up for ESRI Virtual courses to learn more about ArcGIS Online. To sign up for an ESRI Virtual Course, send an email to email@example.com
Get Started with Story Maps
Esri Story Maps let you combine authoritative maps with narrative text, images, and multimedia content. They make it easy to harness the power of maps and geography to tell your story.
Learn the fundamentals of storytelling with maps.