The Data Lab and Tisch Library own several university wide subscriptions to databases and online tools. Below are a list of some of the useful Databases/Subscriptions with a particular ability to download data in geospatial or tabular formats:
- ArcGIS Online
- Armed Conflict Database
- China Data Online
- The Cross-National Time-Series (CNTS) Data Archive
- Data Citation Index
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- EMIS Professional
- Europa World Plus
- Gallup Analytics
- Geolytics – Neighborhood Change Database (NCDB)
- Historical Statistics of the United States
- OECD iLibrary
- Policy Map
- Social Explorer
- Statista: the portal for statistics
- U.S. Political Stats
- USA Trade Online
- The World Bank Data Catalog
**To view all of Tufts University Subscriptions and Data Bases, please see the Tisch Library Database Page
Social Explorer provides quick and easy access to modern and historical U.S. census data and demographic information. The web interface lets users create maps and reports to help visually analyze and understand demography and social change throughout history. The site currently includes data from the entire US Census from 1790 to 2010, all annual updates from the American Community Survey to 2008, original Census tract-level estimates for 2006 and 2007, the Religious Congregations and Membership Study from 1980 to 2000, and 2002 Carbon Emissions Data from the Vulcan Project.
Tools & Features
- Visualize data with customizable, user-friendly maps, allowing unparalleled exploration of demographic and social change, revealing the patterns buried in raw numbers
- Create thematic and interactive maps that explore all historical and modern US census data across the centuries and even down to street level detail (where available).
- Locate geographies with the address find tool.
- Export, save, and print maps and reports for professional-looking reports, presentations, and graphics. High-resolution images are available and any presentation can be exported directly to PowerPoint.
- Create multi-map presentations with the interactive slideshow tool for in-depth comparisons and story-telling.
- Graph and chart data with easy on-screen tools to investigate the data and communicate your findings.
- Save projects in your personal MyExplorer account for archiving, collaboration, and more.
- Share your creations in presentations and online. Maps can be shared through e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter, and embedded in websites.
- Create data reports at all geographic levels, including state, county, census tract, block group, zip code, and census place (where the data exist).
- Download data to a variety of file formats for use with your favorite statistical package. Our reports automatically calculate aggregates, percentages, inflation adjustments, and medians to save time and eliminate errors.
Neighborhood Change Database (NCDB), by Geolytics, gives users instant access to US Census data from 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, and 2010 at the census tract level. It allows researchers to to analyze changes that have occurred in US neighborhoods over five decades. Since neighborhood boundaries can change from one census year to the next, this makes it challenging for researchers to compare the same area over time. The Neighborhood Change Database (NCDB) reconciles those changing boundaries in census data from 1970 to 2010 by normalizing the data to match the current geographical boundaries.
The NCDB contains 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 and 2010 Long Form data and the 2010 Summary File 1 and 2010 American Community Survey (ACS) data with details such as: population, household, and housing characteristics, income, poverty status, education level, employment, housing costs, immigration, and other variables.
ArcGIS Online is an online, collaborative web GIS that allows users to create and share maps, scenes, apps, layers, analytics, and data. ArcGIS Online is a complete, cloud based mapping platform hosted by ESRI.
Tufts University holds an Enterprise Account/Subscription which allows current students, faculty and staff to create a personal ArcGIS Online account for their web mapping purposes. For information on how to access your Tufts ArcGIS Online Account, please see our ArcGIS Online Page. This page also has more information on getting started with ArcGIS Online.
Tools & Features
- Apps for Everyone: Apps designed to guide you through specific tasks.
- Ready to Use Maps includes a Living Atlas of the World, comprised of authoritative maps and data on thousands of topics.
- Visualize large amounts of data and convey information in a way that’s more powerful than words
- Spatial analytics allows you to identify and quantify the implications, consequences, and impact of your decisions.
- Create Story Maps that engage and inspire audiences by telling interactive stories in a way that is much more connected than PowerPoint or conventional presentation methods. These stories can easily be embedded in browsers or websites.
ReferenceUSA offers accurate information, including location data for use in GIS, on 44M businesses and 273M consumers. Tufts University has a subscription which allows students, researchers and faculty to download this information for free. The subscription includes access to 3 modules:
- U.S. Businesses – U.S. Businesses is a database of 14 million U.S. businesses containing verified data, updated monthly. Search by business name and type, executive title, sales volume, year established and more.
- HealthCare – HealthCare provides detailed information about 855,000 physicians and dentists, searchable by name, gender, state of license, medical school attended, and other criteria.
- OneSource – OneSource provides basic and in-depth information about companies, industries, and executives from the United States and internationally.
Tufts University and the Tisch Library provides access to historical documents and photos, local narratives, oral histories, indexes and other resources in over 30,000 databases that span from the 1500s to the 2000s.
Armed Conflict Database from International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) covers international and internal conflicts, as well as terrorism, refugees and returnees, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), weapons used and their flows, fatalities, costs, historical backgrounds, annual updates and timelines. Users can generate reports and download data.
Current and historical data for China, including geospatial data/GIS and Census data. It provides easy access to the various statistical yearbooks published by the National Bureau of Statistics of China, comprehensive statistics, and Census data of economy and population at national, provincial, city, county, and even township levels.
The Cross-National Time-Series (CNTS) Data Archive provides ranges of annual data from 1815 to the present for all countries for many variables.
Data-Planet Statistical Datasets provides access to several thousand different national and international standardized datasets. Data can be displayed in charts, graphs, maps, and tables, as well as exported for further manipulation. (Formerly known as ProQuest Statistical Datasets)