||These are websites that have cataloged many useful data visualization resources or design resources
- Visualizing Data: An outstanding collection of resources for data visualization, color schemes, design, mapping and more.
||Resources created by Tufts University for learning Data Visualization or Design Principals:
- Introduction to Data Visualization using Excel:
- This is an excellent overview of various data visualization techniques using Excel 2013 & Web-based tools.
- Topics covered include summary tables, bar charts, pie charts, histograms, line graphs, scatter plots and word clouds
|Data Visualization Resources
||Resources for understanding various principals related to data visualization or design principals.
- Data Visualization Fundamentals – Here is a Lynda.com course, free for Tufts affiliates.
- Excel Easy – Excel tutorials for data visualization
- WallStreetMojo -Free Excel resource containing information on Excel Charts, Excel Tips, Excel Tools, Excel Functions, Financial Functions, Logical Functions, Lookup Reference Functions, Maths Function, TEXT, and String Functions
- SpreadsheetDaddy – Excel & SpreadsheetDaddy-GoogleSheets: This is a free online resource helping users from across the world master Excel and Google Sheets with over 20 in depth tutorials on how to build charts in excel.
- Tableau Training Videos – Free online tutorials for learning Tableau
- “How To” Videos for Tableau Public – Free online videos and datasets for learning Tableau Public
- Flowing Data: Learn to visualize your data like an expert with these practical how-tos for presentation, analysis, and understanding. All types of softwares and web tools are shown through this guide.
- Comprehensive Guide to Data Visualization in R: Learn everything from the basics to complicated visualization techniques exclusively using R.
- Introduction to Data Visualization by Duke University: This guide covers definitions, concepts, examples and more.
- Tutorial: Data Visualization: Basics using Google Docs by UC Berkeley
- D3 Tutorials by Scott Murray: Learn how to create visualizations using D3 – this is for more experienced users.
|Graphic Design Resources
- Design School: Fast-track your ability to create amazing designs – learn about the importance of color, fonts, images, backgrounds, layouts and much more through these tutorials at Canva.com
- Photoshop Graphic Design Tutorials: Learn proven techniques with detailed Photoshop graphic design tutorials and training
- CreativeBlog: A list of 83 tutorials for learning photoshop. The cover it all.
||Learn how to code:
- Code Academy: Learn at your own pace and network with peers as you learn to code.
- Hour of Code: This is an hour-long introduction to computer science and coding.
- Code School: Free and paid options to learn coding. The free account gives access to 10 introductory courses on topics like SQL, Objective-C, and jQuery, which could be a good means of getting started.
- EdX and Coursera: These Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) sites have numerous courses. Check out classes such as Introduction into Computer Science and Programming Using Python from MIT.
- Khan Academy: If you learn well from short videos, check out what this site has to offer in computer science.
- Bento: This site offers a grid arranged by subject matter, and each box lists their picks for the best free tutorials out there, as well as what order to complete them. It starts with web fundamentals and moves through other areas like front end development, back end development, databases, etc. There are also some paid options for supplemental content.