The Medford Data Lab is a teaching classroom and research computing space located in Tisch Library (room 203) and is open to Tufts students, faculty, and staff across all Tufts schools and departments.
We are a hub for GIS and data science research and a space where the Tufts community can receive methodological and technological support for a ride range of data intensive applications including but not limited to GIS, statistics, data science, data visualization, and digital humanities. Learn more about our full suite of services and support, Data Lab Assistants, or software in the Data Lab.
Reserve the Data Lab Instructional Classroom: Faculty and staff may request to reserve the Medford Data Lab classroom for semester long GIS or data intensive courses, one time classroom use, or for workshops and labs. See below for more information or to view the classroom calendar.
About the Space
The Medford Data Lab is divided into two spaces: The Instructional Classroom and the Computing Lab.
Data Lab Instructional Classroom
The Instructional Classroom is situated at the far end of the Data Lab. Tufts faculty or staff may reserve the Medford Data Lab classroom for semester long data intensive courses, one time classroom use, or for workshops and labs.
The Medford Data Lab classroom is off limits while classes or workshops are in session, but open for use anytime the room is not reserved.
Medford Data Lab Computing Space
The Computing Lab is situated towards the front of the Medford Data Lab and is dedicated to individual and collaborative work at all times. Space and computers are available on a first come, first serve basis and the space is not reservable.
The computing lab is staffed by student Lab Assistants who provide walk-in support.
The instructional classroom is equipped with:
- 25 desktops running Windows 11 with 24″ LCD Monitors
- An instructor’s podium with rotating monitor, Windows 11 Desktop and various multimedia connections.
- A “Zoom Room” tablet and monitor
- An overhead projector
- A large projector screen
- Built in surround sound audio
- Wall Talk whiteboard & movable whiteboard
- A laptop desk station
- 3 Lenovo ThinkPad laptops for classroom overflow
- Large format paper Trimmer – Rotatrim Professional M54
The computing lab is equipped with:
- 25 – Windows 11 Desktops with 24″ LCD Monitors
- 1 – Dell Precision Tower (6C, 3.5GHz), 64GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 8GB Video Card.
- 2 Fixed Collaborative Stations running Windows 11 with 43″ LCD Monitors
- “Pay-for-Print” Color Laser Printing
- 44″ Epson large format printer (plotter)
- Mobile Meeting Table
- Mobile White Board
Reserve the Data Lab Classroom
Faculty and staff may request to reserve the Medford Data Lab classroom for semester long GIS or data intensive courses, one time classroom use, or for workshops, and events.
To reserve the classroom for one time use including workshops, guest lectures, or events, please use ReserveTufts to submit a request.
To reserve the classroom for semester long GIS or data intensive courses, please email Carolyn Talmadge, Data Lab Services Manager, at DataLabemail@example.com as early as possible as dates and times are limited. We cannot guarantee that a class will be able to be accommodated as the demand for the classroom is high.
Data Lab Classroom Calendar
The Medford Data Lab holds the same hours as the Tisch library. The Data Lab classroom calendar schedule is below:
Data Lab Printers and Scanners
HP Color LaserJet 5500 Printer
- Printing is “Pay for Print” in the Data Lab via JumboPrint. You must have a Tufts ID or print card to access the printer.
- Printer name is “Color_Medford“ and the cost is $0.30 per page.
- This is a color printer only. There are black and white printers in the lobby of Tisch Library.
Epson P8000 Large Format Plotter
The Data Lab large format printer is only used for GIS Poster Expo printing only and can be accessed by a Lab Assistant during staffed hours.
- Printing Dimensions = Max 44″ width on one side.
- Please have your file in PDF format sized at the final printing size.
- We recommend using MS Publisher, Adobe Illustrator, or Adobe InDesign to make your posters.
- Printing is free of charge if printing for the GIS Expo.
Scanners & Digitizers
- Tisch Library provides flatbed scanners throughout the library.
- There is a Scanner Room around the corner from the Data Lab.
- It is located next to the Circulation Desk and has three scanners and two copiers.
VIDAR Large Format 42″ Scanner
The Data Lab provides large format scanning services by appointment.
- Only Data Lab fulltime staff are able to use the large-format scanner. Lab Assistants do not have access.
- Scans can be dropped off and are usually complete within 1 week.
- Please contact DataLabfirstname.lastname@example.org to schedule assistance with your large-format scanning needs.
- We do not provide on-demand, walk-in scanning.
Tisch Library, Room 203
35 Professors Row | Medford, Ma, 02155
Support Email: DataLabemail@example.com
The Medford Data Lab holds the same hours as the Tisch library.
The student Lab Assistant calendar and Classroom calendar are shown above.