From our turkeys to yours, we hope you have a relaxing Thanksgiving break next week! And to aid in that relaxing, Hirsh Health Sciences Library will be closing Wednesday the 26th at 5 pm, and will re-open on Sunday, November 30th at 10 am. We will be closed in between, so make sure to get in some of that sleep you’ve been skipping out on, and we’ll see you once you’re refreshed and full of food!
In honor of Thanksgiving, the following is a re-post of last year’s description of the ‘evidence-based’ Thanksgiving meal. Enjoy!
Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections.
Jepson RG, Williams G, Craig JC.
Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2012 Oct 17
Findings:“…cranberry juice cannot currently be recommended for the prevention of UTIs”
Bottom line: Well, cranberries are still pretty tasty…
Stuffing and Mashed Potatoes
Low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
Noto H, Goto A, Tsujimoto T, Noda M.
PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e55030. Epub 2013 Jan 25.
Findings: “Low-carbohydrate diets were associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality and they were not significantly associated with a risk of CVD mortality and incidence.”
Bottom line: Eat the stuffing!!!!
Sweet potato for type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Ooi CP, Loke SC.
Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2012 Feb 15
Findings: “There is insufficient evidence to recommend sweet potato [as a therapy] for type 2 diabetes mellitus.”
Bottom line: Sweet potatoes are still very good for you if you have type 2 diabetes (but leave out the marshmallows, capesh!).
and, of course…
Does Turkey Make you Sleepy?
Scientific American. November 21, 2007
Findings: Goble, goble, zzzzzzzzzzz…..
Bottom line: Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NatGeo: What do you get when you cross a kangaroo, koala, sloth, monkey and bear? http://t.co/k3Q78Rugoi about 5 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NaturlLibrarian: 13 Beautifully Unusual Libraries From Around The World http://t.co/avzLq4876V via @HuffPostArts about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The FindIt@Tufts icon has now been restored to PubMed. Happy researching! about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The FindIt@Tufts icon is temporarily absent from your PubMed search. If you need assistance obtaining an article please contact us. about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: Is it a giant jellyfish? A spaceship? An outsized butterfly net? http://t.co/hB0r4lrpSe http://t.co/sFdqbMXMmF about 23 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: New @TuftsCTSI Happenings: enter the poster competition; sign up for #clinicalresearch seminar & #CER workshop http://t.co/I… about 23 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook