From our turkeys to yours, we hope you have a relaxing Thanksgiving break next week! And to aid in that relaxing, Hirsh Health Sciences Library will be closing Wednesday the 26th at 5 pm, and will re-open on Sunday, November 30th at 10 am. We will be closed in between, so make sure to get in some of that sleep you’ve been skipping out on, and we’ll see you once you’re refreshed and full of food!
In honor of Thanksgiving, the following is a re-post of last year’s description of the ‘evidence-based’ Thanksgiving meal. Enjoy!
Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections.
Jepson RG, Williams G, Craig JC.
Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2012 Oct 17
Findings:“…cranberry juice cannot currently be recommended for the prevention of UTIs”
Bottom line: Well, cranberries are still pretty tasty…
Stuffing and Mashed Potatoes
Low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
Noto H, Goto A, Tsujimoto T, Noda M.
PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e55030. Epub 2013 Jan 25.
Findings: “Low-carbohydrate diets were associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality and they were not significantly associated with a risk of CVD mortality and incidence.”
Bottom line: Eat the stuffing!!!!
Sweet potato for type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Ooi CP, Loke SC.
Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2012 Feb 15
Findings: “There is insufficient evidence to recommend sweet potato [as a therapy] for type 2 diabetes mellitus.”
Bottom line: Sweet potatoes are still very good for you if you have type 2 diabetes (but leave out the marshmallows, capesh!).
and, of course…
Does Turkey Make you Sleepy?
Scientific American. November 21, 2007
Findings: Goble, goble, zzzzzzzzzzz…..
Bottom line: Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Goldfish Owner Invents A Cork "Wheelchair" To Help The Sick Fish Swim Properly - My Modern Met http://t.co/2kZVbe4DZ3 about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- White House Meeting Elicits Pledges to Reduce Antibiotic Use http://t.co/sFCOeasqdZ about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTScience: Planet of the apes (that cook) http://t.co/bqUc2iTJ8J http://t.co/5HAPMbIbwc about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @lisagualtieri: #ShowYourWrist Sandy, who's in her 70's, on her #misfitshine #QS http://t.co/BBKW9dsO9e via @Wellocracy @jkvedar http://… about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTScience: As he held the animal-hide pages of an ancient book, something seemed oddly familiar http://t.co/27bf4RFQhm http://t.co/jAU… 12:48:14 PM June 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @theNCI: New on NCI's Cancer Currents blog: Most Americans Do Not Use Sunscreen Regularly http://t.co/9l4QYnkD8s http://t.co/Gqw1PqRVPX 12:41:51 PM June 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook