Are you in a reading rut? Do you need a break from your textbook? The library has recently acquired some new leisure reading books, so swing by our new books section across from the 4th floor library service desk. Here are some of our recently added titles:
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- The Boston Girl: A Novel by Anita Diamant
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
What books did we miss? Let us know what you’d like to see in our collection by recommending a purchase.
Today is the Chinese New Year, which is also known as the Lunar New Year since the celebration begins on the first day of the Chinese Lunar Calendar. 2015 is the Year of the Sheep. It’s also called the Spring Festival as it marks the beginning of warmer weather in China, even though Boston will have to wait a little longer for some warmer days…And because our campus is located very conveniently in Chinatown, be sure to check out the Chinese New Year Parade! It’s the largest annual celebration in Boston’s Chinatown with lion dancers, music, and firecrackers—and if you haven’t tried the plethora of food options in our neighborhood, what a better time to venture out and celebrate? This year’s parade will be held on Sunday, March 1st and is FREE! Click here to learn more.
In honor of Black History Month, we would like to let you know about Boston to Mound Bayou: Columbia Point & Delta Health Center, a guide to the Hirsh Library’s archival materials documenting Tufts’ role in supporting the Delta Health Center. One of the nation’s earliest community-health-centers, the Delta Health Center remains a shining example of community self-determination born of the civil right struggle of the 1960′s. Based in Mound Bayou, Mississippi, “a tiny, all-black town founded by an ex-slave in the heart of the Mississippi Delta,” Delta Health Center’s establishment was “…one of the major contributions of the civil rights struggle.”1
Dr. H. Jack Geiger & Dr. John W. Hatch during construction on the Delta Health Center, 1968
Image credit: Daniel Bernstein/U.S. National Library of Medicine
Learn more at the Delta Health Center at Boston to Mound Bayou: Columbia Point & Delta Health Center: http://researchguides.library.tufts.edu/community_health You can also learn more about Drs. H. Jack Geiger and Count Gibson, TUSM faculty members who supported the establishment of the Delta Health Center in The Good Doctors: the Medical Committee for Human Rights and the Struggle for Social Justice in Health Care (available in the HHSL BookStacks WA 1 D617g 2009).
References: 1. Morgan B. Up from Mississippi. Tufts medicine : magazine of the Tufts University Medical Alumni Association. Spring 2003;62(2):17-26.
K-I-S-S-I-N-G! Join the staff of the Hirsh Health Sciences Library Thursday 2/12 and Friday 2/13 to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Stop by to warm up, eat some candy, and maybe share a smooch with our resident skeleton heartthrob, Leo. That’s right, Leo is opening a kissing booth!
Alone on Valentine’s Day? Sweetie stranded somewhere in the snow? Don’t despair ladies and gentlemen, there’s plenty of Leo to go around! So stop by the HHSL Service Desk on Sackler 4, from noon – closing on Thursday the 12th and again from 10am – 5pm on Friday the 13 (spooky!). Sneak a smooch*, snap and share some selfies (tweet your pics to @TuftsHHSL), and fuel your winter-battered body and soul with delicious candy!
* Please don’t actually kiss the skeleton. It’s cold and flu season. You have no idea where he’s been. Air kisses only, please.
Due to the popularity of the standing desk on the 7th floor, we’ve purchased another! The new standing desk is on the 6th floor in the corridor along the windows. It is electronically height adjustable, so you can easily make it fit your needs.
Why try a standing desk? Here’s a terrifying infographic.
Please note: if you adjust the desk to the shortest height and pull a chair up to it, one of the monsters from the infographic will appear and eat all your homework. Just a heads-up!
Buried under snow and studies? Cheer yourself up by coming to the 4th floor desk this Friday from 2-4pm! We’ll have a variety of supplies for you to make valentines for yourself, your friends, or that special someone (your favorite librarian, perhaps?).
It doesn’t matter if your skill level is this:
Just come and have some fun!
The library has recently acquired a large collection of basic and anatomical sciences eBooks! Popular titles such as Grant’s Atlas of Anatomy, Moore’s Clinically Oriented Anatomy, and many others are now available electronically. There are too many titles to list here, so check out this PDF for the whole list!
The Hirsh Health Sciences Library will close at 2:00 pm today (Thursday 2/2), in order to get patrons and staff home safe and sound before the evening commute.
Please return your materials by 1:30 pm.
Be careful out there!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright data databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @JanHoffmanNYT: How dogs learned to make us feel so happy. It's hormonal! A love story by researchers.http://t.co/pMZJ3odhZX 03:15:21 PM April 17, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Today's the day! Unveiling of our new #Jumbo statue at 4pm on the Academic Quad! 01:05:07 PM April 17, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Study break! Check out these adorable penguins and other live animal cams from @exploreorg http://t.co/DM0bufiDeR 03:07:03 PM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Have an internship in Boston this summer? Stay at Tufts! Gym and parking included! Choose from 4 types of rooms: http:… 02:26:35 PM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Congratulations to our DIS17 class, who are receiving their white coats today! 11:04:54 AM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Patriot’s Day Monday, April 20th: Library is open from 12pm- 7pm | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/abkdAFUkfp http://t.co/4MQNVd3pMX 10:18:38 AM April 16, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook