Rockwell Hardness Tester
About: Determines the hardness by measuring the depth of penetration on a surface.
Location: Materials Lab
Access: Monday to Friday 10am-6pm (when the Shop is open) or by appointment with Lara Dienemann
Use appropriate materials
- Move side handle forward
- Preload with wheel until small black needle is on the black dot
- Adjust larger dial to zero with knurled collar
- Press trip level to release preload
- Wait 30 seconds (for dial to settle)
- Move side handle forward slowly to get hardness number
- Remove sample from stage.