Trotec Speedy II 40 Watt Laser
Trotec Speedy 400 120 Watt Laser
About the Tool: Subtractive manufacturing. Cuts and etches material selected to match the path given.
Location: The Shop
Access: Laser Cutter and Hand Tools (“green zone”)training required.
File types: .dxf, .dwg, .eps, .ai (adobe illustrator), .pdf
Build size: 39in x 24in
Layer thickness: 0.254 mm (0.01 in.)
XY Accuracy: .005 inch per inch of build OR .0015 (whichever is larger)
|Category||Allowable Materials||Restricted Materials|
Hardwood [engrave only]
|Corrugated cardboard [fire hazard]
|Plastics||Acrylic (up to 1/4 inch)
Kapton tape (Polyimide)
|ABS [releases cyanide gas]
Delrin [releases formaldehyde]
HDPE [melts, hard to cut]
PVC [releases chlorine gas]
Polycarbonate / Lexan [fire hazard]
Polyethylene (PE) [melts]
Polypropylene (PP) [melts]
Vinyl [releases chlorine gas]
|Glass + Metal||Engrave only|
|Leather||None||Leather [Offensive Smell]|
|Rubber||None||Rubbers [may release chlorine gas]|
Synthetic & technical textiles
The software accepts any 2D drawing. For cutting, the drawing must have vector lines with a stroke of .001 and pure red.
Please visit the Design Programs webpage for software recommendations.
- Turn on Trotec Speedy II and filtration system
- Use the focus tool and buttons on the machine to focus the laser.
- File -> New from Template… -> Bray Laser
- Select “File -> Place…” then select your file. This will insert your drawing into the Bray Laser template.
- To cut
- Lines must have a .001 inch stroke and be RGB Red:
- Select File -> Print
- Select Printer Preset: “Bray Laser”
- Job Control Program will open
- Drag your file onto the bed and position where you want it to be cut
- Go to view -> WYSIWYG to view drawing
- Select material and enter thickness
- Connect to laser cutter
- Select Play
- Machine must be monitored while in use.
- Wait until the light on the fan button turns from yellow to green to indicated it is safe to open the top because air filtration is completed.
- Remove your material and all debris.
- Throw excess material in the trash.