The Boston Data Lab public computing space has been de-densified for the fall 2020 semester. There are 9 computers available for use. Computers do not need to be reserved ahead of time.
Please follow all Tufts’ Covid-19 requirements regarding the use of PPE and social distancing guidelines.
The Public Computing Data Lab is located on the 5th floor of Hirsh Health Sciences Library (HHSL) and is dedicated to individual and collaborative work. The public computing Data Lab space is open for use during the same hours as HHSL. Space and computers are available on a first come, first serve basis.
Data Lab Help Desk
The Data Lab is staffed by student Lab Assistants who are available for methodological and technical GIS, data analysis, and statistics support. To learn more about the Data Lab help desk, please view our walk-up services and support. Advanced data consultations are available by appointment.
Walk-Up IT Support Desk
IT support is available at the walk-up IT support desk Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm and staff can help with:
- Software installation, assistance and software discounts(including operating system installation and configuration)
- Smartphone and mobile device configuration (includes assistance with e-mail configuration)
- Hardware Troubleshooting and Installation (e.g. memory upgrades, hard drive failure)
- Connecting to Tufts Wireless and device security and best practices
- Consultation for hardware purchases and hardware discounts
- Assistance with printing and scanning
- Virus, adware, and spyware removal consultation
- Assistance with Tufts Accounts & Tufts Email
- Tufts storage recommendations (tufts.box.com)
Hardware & Equipment
- 15 – Seated computer stations running Windows 10 desktops with 24″ LCD monitors
- 3 – Standing work stations running Windows 10 desktops with 24″ LCD monitors
- 2 – Standing desk stations for personal laptop use or study space
- 10 – Computer pods for single person study space
- 7 – Group study/collaboration rooms. Click here to reserve a room or read more about it.
- MEB 502: Seats up to 15, SHARP interactive whiteboard, whiteboard, monitor
- MEB 504: Seats up to 14, projector, whiteboard-no monitor
- MEB 508: Seats 8, whiteboard, screen with HDMI & VGA, 60” monitor
- MEB 509: Seats 8, whiteboard, screen with HDMI & VGA, 60” monitor
- MEB 521: Seats 10, whiteboard, screen with HDMI & VGA, 60” monitor
- MEB 522: Seats 12, whiteboard, screen with HDMI & VGA, 60” monitor
- MEB 524: Seats 12, whiteboard, screen with HDMI & VGA, 60” monitor
- Conferencing Room (MEB 513) – 60′ monitor with phone line. Students may book the conferencing room on the Hirsh Library Student Conferencing Room page.
- Multiple soft seating stations and study tables for group or individual use
- Jumbo “Pay-for-Print” color and black and white Laser Printing – More info on printing
- Scanning Station with 2 small bed scanners – more info on scanners
- Staplers, tape, hole punchers, hand wipes, etc.
- Please see the Software Section for a complete list of software available in the Data Labs.